1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Does Google Sky Map incur charges?

Last Updated:

1. franciz

franciz New Member This Topic's Starter

I've downloaded an app called Google Sky Map. Will using this incur charges? I don't understand how all this works. In general, is there a way of telling what charges the use of an app will incur (ruling out the use of android-intuition and/or common sense)?

Advertisement
  2. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

I'm too lazy to link to, but there's a great link in the applications forum that details the various permissions of each app. It's stickied there. You can look at the permissions each app requires and know whether you'll be charged for those services.

3. thekarens

thekarens Well-Known Member

Do you have data on your plan? That's the biggest/only financial issue I can think of when using a free app. If you don't have a data plan some of the apps will use data. I wouldn't think Sky Maps would, I would think it would use GPS, but I'm not positive.

4. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Thread retitled for clarity and moved to Android Applications.

5. mmuscaro

mmuscaro Member

no. in fact, it doesn't connect to the internet for its data. i've used it out in the middle of the forest thinking I would be S.O.L. and I was wrong. so, no internet, no data.

6. g4rvd4

g4rvd4 Well-Known Member

No, it just uses the compass..

7. jontayler

jontayler Member

Hi,
    I'm one of the Sky Map devs. No, using the app should not incur charges: at present it stores all of its data internally and does not at access the internet.

John

nomarsgirl likes this.
  8. nomarsgirl

nomarsgirl Well-Known Member

That's great news! Especially since the places where it would be most fun to use it (middle of nowhere where the sky is dark) are places where you are not likely to have a data connection.

9. cjt

cjt Member

John,
    Since you're one of the developers, what's up with it being about 20 - 30 degrees off? I point it near the moon and it doesn't show up. Have to move it a significant amount to have it show the Moon. Same thing with Jupiter. Also have noticed it's off for constellations and not planets.

I'm an astronomer, so I do know my way around the sky.

10. FMan

FMan New Member

You need to calibrate your compass.

Menu > Settings > Location & Security > Calibrate Compass

11. SteveFreathy

SteveFreathy New Member

Hellp John,

I have an idea for an augmentation/development of the Sky Map app. It wouldn't change core functionality. It is commercial and so I would want to conduct any conversations as privately as possible. Would you care to contact me? You may be able to assist or perhaps point me in the right direction - no pun intended. Steve sfreathy@yahoo.co.uk

12. AlvarezLuis

AlvarezLuis Banned

If an app needs new data it will go and get it if you gave the proper permissions. If it's outside of WiFi range it will poll your mobile network if you have a data plan.

But I wouldn't worry about very many mutations taking place in the sky if I were you...