Does Gorilla glass really work?

Last Updated:

1. jetcitydevices

jetcitydevices Member This Topic's Starter

I've been Googling around trying to find some objective information on Gorilla glass with no luck. It's either Corning's promotional material on the subject raving about how you'll never break your phone again, or someone that bought a Droid, cracked it, and they are screaming about how much it sucks.

What I'd like to find is some kind of reliable source that has done a study on it. I studied engineering and, from what I remember, we were taught that the harder something was the more brittle it would be. Of course, that was 15 years ago and there's a good chance I'm remembering it wrong.

Does anyone know for sure? Have a source you can point me at?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

as i understand gorilla glass is not scratch proof, it is scratch resistant. Stuff happens, just not as much and damages aren't as bad as saaaay the cracks in the iPhone.

3. Super_Six_Two

Super_Six_Two Well-Known Member

My friend has a Droid 1 and treats it pretty badly and it still has no scratches on the screen. I prefer a screen protector myself.

I haven't seen anything formal about it. They hardly even advertise that the phones have it.

4. Genetic_Bloom

Genetic_Bloom Well-Known Member

My Droid screen is scratched so it won't protect you from scratches. It is resistant though so the scratches won't appear as deep or as easily as they would on standard glass.

5. mikeymop

mikeymop Well-Known Member

I dont know about the gorilla glass on the droid. but the gorilla glass on my ipod nano is invincible. it's stronger then the metal casing it's built in. It holds up to the metal headphones that are in my pocket with the screen. Apple changed the material with the iphone 4, I'd love to know what it is that is equipped in the nano

6. TozyJay

TozyJay Well-Known Member

Gorilla Glass is definitely strong, but not supernaturally so. :)

I still use a screen protector just to be on the safe side. I know some folks scoff at the idea but I'd much rather live with having a screen protector then risk it getting scratched.

7. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Screen protectors definitely work, as do full body skins.

I've been shopping for phones on Craigslist and it astounds me how many people are trying to sell expensive phones, and yet never took the trouble to install a $10 / $20 screen protector / body film to keep it scratch / nick free.

Ever scratch / nick subtracts at least $10 from the value of the phone, in my mind. I refuse to pay top dollar for a scratched up 4G phone.

8. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

I've dropped my X face first at least 3 times so far since getting it. I got it on launch day. The last time I envisioned seeing the spiderweb of a cracked glass...hasnt happened yet. One of those faceplants left a nick, not really a scratch. I didnt notice til just now..

The 2 bottom corners of the phone are scuffed up bad tho...lol. And the menu hard key is nicked. I know its not unbreakable. I have seen some pics of Droid 1's with cracked screens. I have survived 3 face plants so far, 2 outside in the street (both times getting out of cars and forgetting it was in my lap.) and one indoors on hard tile floors.

I guess it depends....if it lands the wrong way.....crack!!!!

9. Devlyyn

Devlyyn Member

I have the epic and take care of it, but don't baby it. Haven't dropped it (yet) and don't keep it in my pocket with my keys, but otherwise don't do anything special. Just kinda toss it on my desk or whatever. Haven't had any issues and I like the comfort (warranted or not) it brings because I hate having screen protectors.

10. jetcitydevices

jetcitydevices Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks all for the feedback. Much appreciated. So basically what I gather is that Gorilla glass helps but it's no substitute for a) a scratch protector and b) a case.

@AndroidSPCS: Even more astounding to me is how many people will buy a $500 phone and then not put a protective case on it. It reminds me of when I used to work in a sporting goods store. These guys would come in to buy a $1500 gun for a hunting trip they paid $3000 to go on and then balk at spending an extra $100 to get a really good scope - the thing you actually need to make the trip a success.

Yes, I realize that last bit is totally unrelated to the original post, but it's in keeping with how dumb some people can be when it comes to "saving" money.

11. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Yep agree fully. Enjoy your phone!! Take good care of it and sell it for a higher profit when you're ready to upgrade to a new device. :)