Does GPS drain the battery if not being actively used?Tips

Last Updated:

1. JohnJSal

JohnJSal Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I noticed when I have GPS on but am not in an app that uses it, there is no GPS icon in the status bar. When I go into Google Maps, for example, then the icon appears.

Does this mean that when it's not being actively used, it isn't really "working" and thus not draining the battery, or at least not by much?

Advertisement
  2. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

If an application isn't requesting it, it's not running. If an application requests it, it's running. It's not like this on the Epic, only the Evo. With the Epic, you have to turn it off, other wise it's constantly trying to work. Keyword, trying. *zing*

DarkNeo and JohnJSal like this.
  3. hambonewc

hambonewc Well-Known Member

Yes I never turn mine off which has worked our nicely. I've lost my phone twice and both times was able to locate it with mylookout. On a sidenote the GPS in this phone is awesome. Mylookout located my phone accurate to within 10 meters both times and both times my phone was indoors.

4. Rob_A

Rob_A Well-Known Member

I used to keep mine off until i needed it but for that past few months it's on all the time and I notice no difference in battery life.

5. JohnJSal

JohnJSal Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yeah, that's what I just started doing, and so far it doesn't seem to be a problem.

6. slugbug

slugbug Well-Known Member

Mine is also on 100% of the time. Unless an app needs it, it will not come on.

7. buMitch333

buMitch333 Well-Known Member

this is great never knew that, going to keep mine on all the time now too so i dont have to wait to use it like i used to