Does GPS/maps have a live view?

Last Updated:

1. get quad

get quad Banned This Topic's Starter

I've been searching and can't figure out if the Droid GPS/map function supports a 'live map' view which will display and follow my vehicle's progress realtime, similar to how standalone GPS devices (I have a Garmin Nuvi) will show your vehicle as it travels along roads in realtime. I know this view will come up after you've given the navigation something to find, but I'm hoping this is not required and I can just pull up a live view while driving. Sometimes it's very useful to see cross street names and other details while on the road around town, so hoping this is possible.

Advertisement
  2. RandolphNY

RandolphNY Well-Known Member

Yes, you can use the regular google maps and pinpoint your current location. It will then follow you. The only problem is that this map stays north, so obviously when going other than north, you will see movement to the left or right and down instead of the direction you are heading.

I am new at this and it took a while to get use to. One suggestion that I have used, is go ahead and pinpoint a location that you are heading. Worst thing is that it will suggest a route of travel.

Enjoy like I am!

3. &roid

&roid Well-Known Member

I've got a copy of Google Earth running on my stock Droid, it tracks using direction up, it's easier on the eyes. I don't use it for point to point navigating, just for reference when off-road in the Jeep.

4. TBreezy

TBreezy Member

I think there is a box to check so it will always go straight. Mine always goes south to north direction. (not to the left or right when going north)

5. RadOD

RadOD Active Member

Are you talking about maps or navigation? If there's a way to make maps rotate so the direction you are going is up, please let me know!

6. nader2013

nader2013 Well-Known Member

I think he is talking about street view. This should help http://androidforums.com/support-troubleshooting/18390-how-do-i-get-street-view-work-droid.html :). Press and hold, select the address/picture of address, choose street view and Enjoy.

7. brnr17

brnr17 Well-Known Member

no, no he's not. with a garmin nuvi it shows you driving down the road, turns coming up, your speed and direction. He's looking to make google maps on his phone follow his route of travel just like a garmin without having to type in a place he's going. has nothing to do with street view

8. dougwilson2000

dougwilson2000 Well-Known Member

I use My Positon from the market. Also Realtime Traffic works well with night mode.

skunkpbguy likes this.
  9. get quad

get quad Banned This Topic's Starter

you are absolutely correct, the other poster made wrong assumptions

10. harrisonkk

harrisonkk Member

I know there's a way to get a "3D" view to follow you if you're using Google Navigation within Maps, and I'm pretty sure it tells you how far away and how much time it will take to reach your destination, not sure about the speed you're going though.

If you're asking for the 3D view while you're not using navigation, just for while you have the maps application open, I'm not sure if that's implemented...

When I get home today I'll check it out and see if I can figure out how I got to that view if no one else has already answered it by then haha.

11. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Not with Google Maps/Nav. Possibly with another nav app.

12. scorrpio

scorrpio Well-Known Member

Here' s an idea: tell it to navigate about anywhere. It will put you in the nav mode. Now just mute the nav voice and go wherever you need.