Does having a Gmail acct create a better experience?

Last Updated:

1. 4ngi3

4ngi3 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I currently have a yahoo email address and have setup my email fine on my desire. I sync my contacts and calendar items in Outlook via HTC and all is working fine.

My question is.. since its a google device, would i have a better "experience" if i set the gmail email address as my primary address? is there anything special that you can do with a gmail address on the desire that you cna't do without one?

Advertisement
  2. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

You can't use market without one

3. trick202

trick202 Well-Known Member

The gmail app is pretty poor to be honest. HTC "mail" app is better featured.

4. FelixofMars

FelixofMars Well-Known Member

I think using Gmail adds to the experience in terms of I noticed it Syncs you contacts and Calender. In general the Desire itself is a great little machine if they can fix the battery life it would be perfect. That said I only get 3 hours out my laptop tops even for mild browsing and the Desire about 24hours.

5. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

Syncing between handset and desktop using HTC sync works, but you'll find that some apps can't "see" your contacts and calendar entries as they are stored separately on the phone to the "Google" contacts and calendar entries.

Having a Gmail account means (a) you can sync your contacts and calendar with Google online (which has it's plus points as well as it's negative points) and of course (b) it allows you to use the Market to download new (mostly free) apps. Not really much point in an Android phone if you're not going to investigate the Market.

6. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

It also allows you to say "call peter", and the phone will call peter from your address book

7. StevenSeed

StevenSeed Well-Known Member

I don't know anyone called Peter :(

8. 4ngi3

I know two peters but how will it know which I want to call? StevenSeed you can have one of my peters and our problems are solved! :D

9. 4ngi3

Back to my original query... thanks everyone for your answers, I do have a gmail acct to access the market but was wondering if using gmail as my primary email add would b better. at this point i think i shall just keep my yahoo as my primary as the htc mail app is working nicely. htc syns is doing its job syncing my calendar n contacts. i havne't so far come across any issues with apps that don't see all my contacts either. and the battery life doesnt really bother me as i put my ph on charge everynight habitually anyway. the desire will b perfect for me once they fix the caller ID photos resolution.

10. Banzibarn

Banzibarn Well-Known Member

Your Gmail email will be push like a Blackberry (as long as you use the gmail app) so that's quite a cool thing to have IMO. :)

11. KBv1

KBv1 Well-Known Member

If you use the HTC mail app for your gmail account.. does it not get pushed then?

12. tuatha

tuatha Well-Known Member

HTC app doesn't do threaded conversations though, which is a pain in the ass. I stick with the gmail one.

Google Talk is a great feature.

Besides the phone though, I find Yahoo and Hotmail and the rest to be really awful. Gmail has a better interface and way more features. And you can hook up your gmail with reader (which is great!), youtube, shopping, maps and the many other google apps.

Overall I just don't see a reason to use any other webmail client.

13. 4ngi3

what exactly is google talk? i have it as an app on the desire but don't know what it is. is it like msn messenger?

14. coolbone

coolbone Well-Known Member

Instant messaging a la msn messenger but inside gmail (on computer) allows for free video and voice chat. Far more functional than msn imho.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

15. Banzibarn

Nope just a normal send and receive jobby, at set durations.

16. antipesto93

antipesto93 Well-Known Member

cant you create a gmail address, tehn automaticallt forward all yahoo mail to ur gmail using a yahoo redirection option

17. KBv1

KBv1 Well-Known Member

what is the difference between the goolemail apt and the htc one? Is there any pics or show?

18. mattbeef

mattbeef Member

Stick with your normal email address and use a GMail account for market and syncing like i do.

For my mail i use K9 mail as it supports push on my MobileMe account and gives me an integrated mail box so is a winner

19. HYCAET

HYCAET Guest

how does this work?

20. Banzibarn

Google mail app is 'push' and uses the gmail conversation view. The HTC app is just a normal email app where all mails received are separate in your inbox.

21. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

22. DCFC79

DCFC79 Well-Known Member

Can i ask if it matters if i use a googlemail or gmail address for the apps market

23. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

doesn't matter, only problems arise if you use switch between googlemail and gmail once you have already associated one with your phone.

24. HYCAET

HYCAET Guest

I had a feeling that was how it was done. I have voice search already, but when I say 'call whoever' my phone just searches the words 'call whoever'

alhazmy likes this.