• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does having GPS on kill battery (even if not used)

Really? Mines off and stays off until I need it. My N900 used to eat batteries alive with services on that were not being used. I'd be suprised is desire wasn't the same. If you leave BT on it eats batteries. If you leave wifi search on it eats batteries. Why would GPS be different? cheers...

Upvote 0
Really? Mines off and stays off until I need it. My N900 used to eat batteries alive with services on that were not being used. I'd be suprised is desire wasn't the same. If you leave BT on it eats batteries. If you leave wifi search on it eats batteries. Why would GPS be different? cheers...

The difference is that bluetooth is constant - your phone actively searches for bluetooth-enabled devices and also broadcasts its own bluetooth connectivity to other devices. WiFi is the same - constantly searching for hotspots. GPS is only used when an application needs to use it, therefore you can keep GPS on and it won't affect the battery unless being used by an app.

I thought that if GPS was on, it periodically searched for your location?

Nope - whenever GPS is being used you get a little satellite icon in your notification bar.

Reactions: NineToTheSky
Upvote 0
The difference is that bluetooth is constant - your phone actively searches for bluetooth-enabled devices and also broadcasts its own bluetooth connectivity to other devices. WiFi is the same - constantly searching for hotspots. GPS is only used when an application needs to use it, therefore you can keep GPS on and it won't affect the battery unless being used by an app.

Nope - whenever GPS is being used you get a little satellite icon in your notification bar.
Thank you for this: you learn something new every day. (Well, at least I do.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones