Does heat drain the battery?

1. DragonJTS

DragonJTS Well-Known Member

I've had my atrix for a few moths, no real issues with the battery life (especially after GB). However, today I went into a new job at a restaurant, and kept my phone in my pants, which were in a duffel bag. When I was done, I discovered two things: my phone temp was up to 43 C, and the battery had gone down to 5% in less then 8 hours since i unplugged.

Would the higher temp affect the depletion, or do I likely have a rogue app?

Advertisement
  2. WolfmanRobby

WolfmanRobby Well-Known Member

Well, heat, by itself, does not "Drain" the battery. However, high heat, and really cold temps will negatively effect a battery's performance.

You could have a rogue app. However, my guess of what happened is this....
    -In a restaurant kitchen, there is a LOT of metal around you. This act's like a psudo-faraday cage, blocking a lot of the cell signal.
    -Also, there is a lot of EMF (ElectroMagnetic Field) interference from the appliances, lights, microwaves, compressors on the coolers/freezers... These play "Merry Ha Ha" with your radio signal.
    -Put those together, and the phone has to put more power to the radio to maintain signal. This will drain the battery MUCH faster. This also makes the phone heat up.
    -The heat built up since the phone was in your pocket. This reduced the battery's performance.

So, your battery was not only drained from the extra power load put on it by the radio, it drained even faster due to the heat that built up in your pocket.
  3. DragonJTS

It would seem it was a connection issue. I had it on airplane mode today, and afterwards is was only down to 88, and normal temp.
  4. WolfmanRobby

WolfmanRobby Well-Known Member

Like I said, all that metal and the EMF's in the kitchen were killing the signal, making the radio work itself to death.

Do they provide you with a Locker area to keep phones in? The Heat and Humidity in a commercial kitchen are NOT friendly on electronic devices. Even in your pocket, it's warmer and more humid than is healthy for a phone.
  5. DragonJTS

Yes, I do keep it in a locker area. I'm not about to subject it to the heat of the line.