Does HTC sync, do a backup like the IphoneSupport

Last Updated:

1. silvershadow68

silvershadow68 Member This Topic's Starter

HI Guys,

i have recently ported over to the HTC desire from the iphone.

I use a mac at home, so i dont really use HTC sync, but i would be prepared to install a windows version, on my mac if it was really worth while.

Does using htc sync, work like making a complete backup of your phone ?.

The reason i ask is because, i had a disaster earlier, and had to do a reset, in turn having to reinstall everything & stuff, screens/ favourites etc.

When new versions of android are available, do you always have to go thru the process of reinstalling all your stuff again

cheers

Tom

Advertisement
  2. Banzibarn

Banzibarn Well-Known Member

I think, and i might be wrong, that HTC Sync only syncs contacts and calendar with Outlook - that's it.

I reckon what you need to do is back up to the SD card (settings --> Privacy). Also, get a gmail account which will back up your contacts and calendar entries automatically as you go along.

The SD card backup doesn't backup your apps though, you will need to reinstall them after a reset, or get an app that can do a batch re-install - can't remember the name of this off hand though.

silvershadow68 likes this.
  3. silvershadow68

silvershadow68 Member This Topic's Starter

cheers ma friend,

its just getting used to this again, after using itunes for so long.

I found out, even tho it doesnt back up your apps, they are all listed in the android market, under *downloads*.

i just reinstalled them all again

cheers

4. staz1000

staz1000 Well-Known Member

I had to do a factory reset on Friday and yeah all bar the apps and widgets was as before. The apps are listed in on the downloads tab of Market which allowed me to reinstall them super quick but today I found in Astro you can backup your apps too.

What does this actually mean? Are the apps installation files now stored on the SD card so I wouldn't have to download them again?

5. selenarus

selenarus New Member

I use AppMonster to back up all my downloaded apps. It works fine for me. It saves all apps in SD card. You just have to download AppMonster again after factory reset :)