Does installing new ROMS/THEMES require deletion of old?

Last Updated:

1. suv1186

suv1186 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

What I'm asking is if I were to install a new ROM/THEME do i need to uninstall or delete the old one? Or do I just load right over it? Also what's the best app to use to "unbloat" uninstall unwanted apps?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. mjd515

mjd515 Well-Known Member

it all depends on what exactly you overwriting

3. CaucasionJ

CaucasionJ Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing. i just now started to get comfortable installing themes and roms as well. Im using the 928s black glass theme that i got when i deodexed, the black task bar, and Fabs "goodies". If i wanted to install REVO or ApeX do i need to uninstall anything or can i just drive right into another theme?

4. suv1186

suv1186 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

That's exactly what im wondering

5. brandonmg99

brandonmg99 Well-Known Member

I use titanium back up to uninstall apps. The paid version allows you to freeze/defrost apps. You're best bet, if you want to try new roms or themes is to make a backup. Then if you don't like it you can just use your back up to get back to normal. When I got the OTA I rooted and made a back up. If I want to try a new Rom I just load that, flash the Rom, put my theme over ut and see how I like it. If I don't resort back to my current set up and everything is great.

CaucasionJ likes this.
  6. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

As far as I know, the only ROM that requires a clean slate is Fission, by Team Defuse. In order to install it correctly, you have to overwrite whichever ROM you have with a fresh SBF installation. In other words, you have to be back at the OTA (over-the-air) stock Android 2.2. You can't install it over an existing modification.

Other than that, to the best of my knowledge, you can install every other ROM over anything else. The only thing you may want to do is delete data, system and cache files in order for the new ROMS to be truly blur-free, fast and fleet.

This info is from personal experience, having tried almost everything out there, on my phone.

Right now, I am using Fabolous's ApeX 1.0 with REVOlution. I've added back one blur program, the alarm clock. It's very good and very stable.

Good luck!

CaucasionJ likes this.
  7. gmenfan83

gmenfan83 Well-Known Member

you can go over it but then you are running the risk of leaving remnants from roms or themes you have gone over into your new rom ,,,,,really with themes its not too big of a deal but when it comes to roms its always best to start fresh ...your best bet is just after the point of root and installing clockwork and bootstrap and all of your rom required apps before flashing anything you should make a backup that way you always have a fresh start point for different roms...also quite a few roms come pre deodex eliminating the need for 928

CaucasionJ likes this.