• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

does it bother anyone else....

yea i dont plan on rooting anytime soon.. gonna wait a bit cause i have no idea how this phone is really gonna turn out..

but really i shouldnt have to root to take screen shots

Yeah, it is annoying, but then again I dont think taking a screenshot is considered something an average user would want to do. I have been using smartphones for over 5 years (I have hacked, moded installed all sorts of applications), but I hardly came across the need to take a screenshot.

Upvote 0
I think disabled non-root access for security reasons. Which is understandable I suppose, since a malicious program sending screenshots could be bad. It easily allows unauthorized remote access and control of the phone if you let a program do it.

But then, this would be a case of trying to protect the user from themselves. Screenshots have some legitimate uses such as showing off (homescreens), troubleshooting, remote access (complete control of the phone from your PC), and stuff like that and sort of hinders some abilities of the phone.

Upvote 0
You DON'T have to root. Just go to the Market and download the FREE App "ShootMe"

Sure, it says before you install that it only works with rooted devices BUT this is not the case. I am NOT rooted, nor do I know how to root or hack my phone and ShootMe works perfectly! I'm on a HTC Aria.

Upvote 0
You DON'T have to root. Just go to the Market and download the FREE App "ShootMe"

Sure, it says before you install that it only works with rooted devices BUT this is not the case. I am NOT rooted, nor do I know how to root or hack my phone and ShootMe works perfectly! I'm on a HTC Aria.

i have tired it.. you lick 'accept' then it goes to a screen that says 'failed starting server.please check that you have **root*** access on your divice and enable access to the lower level graphics"

Upvote 0
i have seen posts from a few people claiming shootme works on non rooted phones. i have seen WAY more posts like yours saying it DOES NOT work on non rooted phones.

mine is rooted and it works fine. i would tend to believe the non root phones it works on are a fluke of sorts. may be something with a certain update they have (or dont have)

i would say if the app SAYS it dosent work without root access... chanced are .. it wont.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones