• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does it really matter if you turn the phone on right when u take it out of the box?

SGN29

Nov 22, 2014
Does it really matter if you turn the phone on right when u take it out of the box? I read in the manual to fully charge your device before turning it on and i accidently pressed the power button when i took it out the box but turned it off right away :(

the way i always
I don't think it matters.

I always turn mine on right away and play with it until it dies lol

That's to maximize your battery life which typically in any phone now, the battery life will be decent to good either you "calibrate" your battery correctly or not when you first get it.
The way i always did it was take it out the box and charge for like 4hrs just like it says in the manual then use it till it gets down to like 10-15% then recharge back up till i wake up and just repeat that every night and i noticed the battery on my phones just got better n better.

Upvote 0
the way i always

The way i always did it was take it out the box and charge for like 4hrs just like it says in the manual then use it till it gets down to like 10-15% then recharge back up till i wake up and just repeat that every night and i noticed the battery on my phones just got better n better.
I've only done it that way with my extended battery for my former Galaxy S3.

For all my other devices, not doing the first few charges as recommended, I still got pretty decent battery life. Always got me through the day including my current Moto G.

Upvote 0
Typically, the "proper charge" when you first get it. You should charge it to 100% when you take it out of the box, leaving it turned off or turning it on shouldn't matter.

Then draining it all the way to 1%, and repeating this for at least 5 cycles to maximize battery life.
what do u mean by not doing the first few charges?
I've only done it that way with my extended battery for my former Galaxy S3.

For all my other devices, not doing the first few charges as recommended, I still got pretty decent battery life. Always got me through the day including my current Moto G.

I really doubt that it matters. Battery technology has really changed over time and there is not battery memory anymore.

Upvote 0
Lithium batteries (the kind of batteries that have been in smartphones for several years now) do not have issues with "charge memory" the way some older chemistries used to. You do not have to make sure you follow a strict "charge/discharge" process.

Use the phone the way you want, and don't worry about charging it up until you go to bed at night. If you need to use fast charge to get enough charge to go out and about, go for it.

You won't hurt the battery if you don't fully charge for a day or two. You won't improve the battery life if you fully charge it right away, either.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones