• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Does it really take this long to charge?

bethkay

Mar 16, 2011
I just bought my phone a couple days ago. Everything seemed great. Woke up this morning it was dead. So I plugged it in to charge.

It is still charging and it has to have been charging for 8 hours! Is this normally how long it takes to charge an LG Optimus V phone? Or did I buy a defective one?

Thank you for any help!
Beth

You know my first charge with this phone I experienced the same thing. I don't know if it has to do with it being a new battery or what but I swear my phone did the same thing but after the second charge it improved.

Also, be careful about using other chargers not meant for the phone. I have a blackberry charger, and the blackberrys are known for how fast they charge and I used the charger on my Optimus since I already had it plugged in and 20 minutes later I picked up my phone and the battery was so hot, the phone had charged quickly but it was causing the battery to heat up. The charger that comes with the phone does an ok job but its not super fast.

Reactions: bethkay
Upvote 0
It's finally done! I plugged it into the computer. That first time it didn't charge at all. It just kept restarting and singing the virgin mobile song.

Then I moved it to the wall and it started to charge, but it seemed like the battery wasn't advancing. So then I moved it to a different computer and slowly but surely it charged.

I never thought it would finish! I hope it doesn't always take that long.

Maybe I need to invest in an extra battery for a spare.

Upvote 0
It takes at least 3-5 cycles for the battery to hold a good charge in my experience.

FWIW - "Exercise" you battery - plug in (I prefer getting juice from the wall, not the USB) often, if only for 15 min or so. Seems to be better for the battery that way. Dont discharge fully if you can avoid it.

I just plugged in for 20 min. and went from red (didnt catch the %) to 36%.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones