• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Does it say Verizon Wireless on your lock screen?

jestexman

Android Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2009
SE Dallas
After seeing some pics of others screen i noticed that the lock screen says "Verizon Wireless" on it.

Well mine does not and it never has. As far as i can tell everything works fine.

I bought this phone from VZW phone sales and got it Tues after the launch.

Anyone ideas?

Is it on yours?

Are you ex alltel on a alltel plan? (i am)

I'll put this here too. (originally posted in the OTA thread)

I'm former Alltel - got auto-switched to VZW right toward the end of using my old phone (was a Moto V9M) and when I got the Droid, I kept the Alltel plan simply because it was a lot cheaper than any of the Verizon ones, all I had to do was add the $30 smartphone data plan onto it.

I was also told btw that I can't have Visual Voicemail because it's not supported for former Alltel customers, pretty stupid.

Here's pics of what my Droid shows - no network identifier and "Unknown" as network name in the status page.

This really kinda upsets me, it's not like I chose for Altell to get bought by VZW and I wasn't about to change my number/pay a ton more just to be "officially" on VZW.

droid-1.jpg

droid-2.jpg

Upvote 0
Mine does not. I called VZ about it a few weeks ago. They spent a day trying to figure it out and then sent me a new phone. The new phone still does not show it so it is an account issue (my PRL is 6058 everyone that has in my office has 51XX so for some reason I get sent the wrong PRL) or more likely something with the firmware that is not getting the right info. Phone works fine so hopefully after the 2.01 update it will see the network name. By the way mine was ordered from VZ online and a new line about 3 weeks ago.

Upvote 0
So, what I'm trying to figure out here then is: are we really on Verizon's towers or are we actually on Alltel's old ones? That's seriously crap if we're not really on the Verizon network. I might go down to a VZW store and try to get to the bottom of this...

Good luck.....I don't get any 3G service on my phone....and the general consensus is that since I carried forward my old Alltel # that's the reason I don't get it b/c it's still searching the Alltel towers, etc. After a number of hours dealing with Verizon Techs I still have no answer other than they are doing a work ticket that could possibly take as long as 10 days to resolve. Bottom line.....I'm paying for 3G service that I don't get....and don't want to change a number that I've had for 15 years.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones