Does Kindle support text to speech?

Last Updated:

1. WCB

WCB New Member

Does Kindle support text to speech?I have downloaded the Kindle App.Could someone tell me if there is a way to make the text audible?If so could someone give me some advice.Phone is HTC desire
    Thanks in advance

Advertisement
  2. MyNamesTooLong

MyNamesTooLong Well-Known Member

Kindle as in the reading app? Not that I know of...have you looked into downloading the audiobooks app? I'm fairly certain that one supports T2S for quite a few of the books
  3. Flmgo

Flmgo Well-Known Member

I am fairly sure that it depends on the book offered by Amazon. Most books are for reading but some are supported by text to speech. They are marked as such when you go to the Amazon site.
  4. jenk1947

jenk1947 Member

Some books have text to speech on the Kindle reading device, but the Kindle Andoid app does not have this yet, although it is still a very good app.
  5. Lukehluke

Lukehluke Well-Known Member

There is no such feature on the Kindle application, however they may add it in the future.
  6. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

This. The actual Kindle does. The Kindle app does not.
  7. Crodley

Crodley Well-Known Member

lgwhitlock likes this.
  8. jnhammond

jnhammond New Member

I have been unable to use the kindle books I have bought since kindle format is not readable by the android moon+ reader. Please advise how you did it.

Have paid version of moon+ but have not been able to convert to readable format. I would like to use the TTS.

Thanks
    Jerry
  9. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

If your Kindle books DRM-free you could use Calibre to convert in .ePub format.

Moon+ Reader reads .ePub and can do this with TTS.

I found some more information to converting ...
    http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86130

Harry
  10. jnhammond

jnhammond New Member

Thanks Harry,

Your link to mobileread.com may help.

It mentions a command line way to do it which I have not tried.

My kindle files are .prc which is DRM protected.

Jerry