Does LTE still use battery life, if I have no service for it?General

Last Updated:

1. androidw2

androidw2 Active Member

At my home I don't have LTE or 3g, but when I leave most places I go to do. Do I have to keep turning on and off LTE to save battery life, when I go from town to home? Or will LTE not use battery if I keep it on in an area with no service. It's pretty complicated to turn it on and off all the time (well, it takes a while).

Advertisement
  2. teddyearp

teddyearp A guide with guides

While I don't have the definitive answer, I do know that I'm in a similar boat as you, except LTE and 3g is so far from my home and work I have yet to use it at all. But I know the couple of times I've flashed a custom ROM I have forgotten to turn off LTE for a day or so, and haven't noticed any real extra battery drain.

In fact, this question makes me want to just go ahead and turn it on for a real test.
    androidw2 likes this.
  3. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender Moderator

While I don't have an LTE device, if it's anything like Wimax. It could use some battery since it may be searching for an LTE signal until it finds service.

I could be wrong but that's what comes to mind.

DS
  4. KOLIO

KOLIO SERIAL AGNOANDROIDIST Guide

If you indeed find battery drain to be an issue,apps such as LLAMA & TASKER may solve your problem, as you can set up LTE (or practically any function) to turn on/off by location &/or time of day.

You may want to check out the TASKER forum for more information on this.
  5. androidw2

androidw2 Active Member

Thanks. I just want to know if it uses battery life if there's no service because I don't want to have to turn it on and off all the time.
  6. Fuzzy13

Fuzzy13 Well-Known Member

This.

If you NEVER have a certain type of service, LTE for example, then it's best to adjust the phone's system settings to NOT search for that signal as that will use more battery consumption as there is no signal to find.
  7. androidw2

androidw2 Active Member

What if I have it sometimes?
  8. quickaudi

quickaudi Well-Known Member Contributor

Yes, it will use battery searching for a signal. I don't know how much, though.
  9. androidw2

androidw2 Active Member

So should I turn it on and off all the time?
  10. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

yes turn it off if the majority of the time you don't have LTE where you're at. Or even better turn it off completely all the time. The only real advantage to LTE is if your streaming videos or music or surfing the web. For normal data related tasks 3G is fast enough.
  11. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Well-Known Member

In some areas of Kansas city I get lte and other areas I don't. I don't notice any task difference when I'm in a 3g only area with no lte.
  12. teddyearp

To report back, I ran all through my last battery cycle with LTE on and didn't notice any extra draw from cell standby. I'll keep testing for a few days and keep reporting back.
    androidw2 likes this.
  13. Fuzzy13

Honestly I don't think the drain is that much from searching for a signal. I wanna say you can modify how often the signal gets searched for. You can adjust this and just leave it on. At least that way you don't have to cut it on cut it off and so forth.
  14. MizzouBrent

MizzouBrent Well-Known Member

Using your 3g radio will drain the battery a lot so if you run lte instead I could see it actually saving battery by completing things more quickly. So you have less overall tune with the radio working. But in any event your battery life will always be way better in WiFi.
  15. Fuzzy13

Yes, wifi whenever possible.
  16. androidw2

androidw2 Active Member

Thanks everyone. I think I'll just leave it on.
  17. teddyearp

Yeah, it doesn't seem to make any noticable difference. Going on 19hrs 24m now, still at 34%, screen on time 1hr 23mins.

My next biggest draw besides screen is that durn zombie frontier, lol.