• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does Mail app vs. Gmail app effect battery life?

JTAPSU

Lurker
Nov 11, 2009
Hey all,

Former Blackberry user who just made the jump to the Eris this morning. What a beautiful phone! Curious about the difference between the Mail app and the Gmail app.

I know that, in the Blackberry world, the Gmail app was a battery hog because it was running underneath all the other apps so I stopped using it and just let the push mail take care of it. I'm curious if it's a similar deal with this (setting up gmail to come through the pop account app or the gmail app).

Maybe it's the same because they are both apps, but maybe not. Just thought I'd put it out there.

Hey all,

Former Blackberry user who just made the jump to the Eris this morning. What a beautiful phone! Curious about the difference between the Mail app and the Gmail app.

I know that, in the Blackberry world, the Gmail app was a battery hog because it was running underneath all the other apps so I stopped using it and just let the push mail take care of it. I'm curious if it's a similar deal with this (setting up gmail to come through the pop account app or the gmail app).

Maybe it's the same because they are both apps, but maybe not. Just thought I'd put it out there.

i was also wondering this...does the mail app try an sync even though i dont have another email setup on my phone besides gmail

Upvote 0
I myself am wondering about this too since I've narrowed down huge battery consumption to google apps. I've removed all of the google apps from my device and have added them back in batches to try to see what's the effect on battery life. I think the gmail app really does use a lot of power... Still doing some tests on this to confirm.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones