Does my new HTC Desire Suck or is it User Error - 10 urgent questionsSupport

Last Updated:

1. Zoust

Zoust Member This Topic's Starter

Hi - (sorry for the long read)

Sorry for all the questions - I have had smartphones since they were first invented and in the last 3 years I have had Nokia E71, E72, Iphone, Iphone4 and now the HTC Desire - all but the Iphones (which I hate with passion) have the same floor - so after just owning the Desire I hope someone can shed light on the issues.

1 - Rom Storage Space - I have 4600 contacts in my Outlook - when I sync these to the phone it takes up a lot of the prmary Rom space - leaving me no room to install any apps - I noticed you can export the contacts to the SD - but this appears to be just a back up - IE when I export to SD then delete the contacts on the phone sim I no longer have access to these contacts - also even if the contacts could be accessable by mail programs etc from the SD - then I think "Sense" etc would not work because it looks for contacts in the default directory?

2 - Inbox Directory Tree - My outlook has an Inbox folder and under this folder are over 4000 other folders IE Inbox --> Projects ---> Queensland ----> Current so if you open the inbox folder on my PC you can see a lot of subfolders, these can be expanded and closed on the PC but can not be on the HTC Desire - IE if I were to get a mail message from someone that I wanted to file under "Z" I would first have to open the mail, select "move to" then scroll 399 folders to file it - is there an easier way?

3 - I have added the APN settings for "3 Australia" but there were several APN settings - Access Planet 3 -MMS Settings - Access the Internet - Should these all be entered as seperate APN's or a singular APN?

4 - I love Friendstream - however I wonder if there is a way to have a Facebook Icon (small) on the Home screen that simply indicates if you have a post on your walll or message, rather than having to scroll to another screen or widget or open facebook its self?

5 - Is there a way to activate Blue tooth with "one touch" while you are recieving or in the middle of a call - battery life is vry poor and I dont want to leave the bluetooth on all day, but unless I do I will forget to turn it on when in the car and when a call comes in I have to hang up - connect bluetooth and then call the person back?

6 - Originally the phone prompted me to add to contacts an "unknown number" but I must ahve changed a setting somewhere as I can no longer seem to be able to do this - anyone know the setting.

7 - I have seen a demo of Froyo on HTC desire - how do you get this?

8 - How do I know what model I have - apparently some are quadband and some are triband?

9 - Is there a way to have a website as an Icon on the Home Screen?

10 - With the Alarm Clock function - I know how to Snooze but not how to turn it off - without going right into the settings to disable it?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement
  2. widehead

widehead Well-Known Member

4. There is a dedicated Facebook widget that does this. Scroll through the available widgets in pop-up list.

5. Put the bluetooth widget on your homescreen. The widget is found in the dropdown menu under the settings found in the widget list. During a call press home and you can activate bluetooth via the widget.

6. Adding unknown numbers only occurs when you have a call from an unknown number (natch). Just out of interest: why on earth would you want to add unknown numbers?! If you want to add a contact just go into People and hit + Add Contact. Maybe I'm missing something?

7. Hit settings then scroll down and hit About phone. System software updates should be at the top of the list - hit that and then check now. If there is a Froyo update available for you then that's where it will be.

8. Model Number is found in Settings ->About phone->Phone identity. I think that the A8181 is quadband. But I'm not sure.

9. Make the chosen website a bookmark. You can now add that bookmark as a shortcut to the homescreen

10. When the alarm sounds swipe down to switch off the alarm.

Hope these help.

Oh and you may want to think about dumping outlook for gmail. I had no idea people still used that dreadful application.

3. Zoust

I have seen this widget - but the issue is that this widget takes a whole entire screen - IE if I had this on my Home Screen then I could have nothing else there, I just want to glance at the phone and see if anyone has said/posted/emailed to me

Thanks - but I probably did not explain this well - I dont mean add "unkown" but what i meant is when someone calls you and they are not in your contact list the phone can prompt you to add them - thats a great feature

Thanks but the Froyo update isnt due here anytime soon - except if you have "Telstra" as the carrier

Thanks - mine is a A8183 - not ssure if that is the latest or if the 8181 is???

Thank you very much - it looks like I have to dump the phone - or Root it ....which I dont want to do - I love this phone - sooo muc thought gone into it - and yet they overlook ONE stupid thing....no room to store contacts and emails...silly people - by the time my contacts and emails get on there - I cant install anything else

Hope these help.

Oh and you may want to think about dumping outlook for gmail. I had no idea people still used that dreadful application.

4. Zoust

Nearly forgot - I am not using Gmail, I am using Outlook active sync

5. widehead

widehead Well-Known Member

Well, the android facebook widget only takes up a third of the screen - so even this may be too big but you have 7 homescreens!

Then go here: Desire - All Things Root - Android Forums and root!

One of the major features of android is the ability to connect to the "google cloud". Your contacts (and all associated info) is seamlessly synched. You seriously need to consider switching to gmail in order to benefit fully from the android experience.

6. Zoust

Really - does this support Outlook Contacts - I dotn want to have to re-type 4600 contacts...if that works then great

7. LECTER

LECTER Well-Known Member

widehead likes this.
  8. Archphoto

Archphoto Well-Known Member

From memory 8183 is the Australian release version and 8181 is other regions.
    The specs differ for the two models in the networks:

8183/Australia:

• HSPA/WCDMA: 850/2100 MHz
    • GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

8181/Asia:

Europe:

• HSPA/WCDMA: 900/2100 MHz
    Asia Pacific:

• HSPA/WCDMA: 900/2100 MHz

9. quadrophenic

quadrophenic New Member

To get the unknown caller to save to contacts (froyo) it is settings -> call -> phone settings -> check "save to contacts"
    Like i said this is on android 2.2 i know a few menus changed from what you may have but it is in that vicinity!