Does not work with PS3 DLNA.Support

Last Updated:

1. dyno

dyno Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I normally have no trouble viewing my photos/video from my PC on the PS3 through the media server. My PS3 can see the phone as a media server, but neither the photos or video that I took can be recognized. Bummer...

I also copied videos and photos from the phone to my PC and tried it that way... the PS3 says that it is an unsupported data type. I even tried connecting directly to the PS3 with the USB cable, again it sees the phone as a mass storage device but will not allow me to play any content.

Looks like Moto/VZW really want you to buy that HDMI cable/dock!! I thought this would be a way around it. I will be getting a cheap 3rd party micro HDMI cable myself.

Maybe someone else can help?

Advertisement
  2. CriticalMass

CriticalMass Well-Known Member

unsupported data type

That has nothing to do with the data cable or the transmission method and everything to do with how the content is being saved to the SD card.

3. shared91

shared91 Member

not to hijack buy how did you get your ps3 to see the phone. I went through the media share and dlna menus and the ps3 doesnt see it.

4. dyno

Open the DLNA app and then click on "Share Media" so that the bar lights up green. After that, my PS3 immediately saw it. I also chose "accept all devices" under the settings / security menu.

I can transfer files to and from the PC, just not anything to the PS3.

5. shared91

shared91 Member

think my router is dying. my pc saw it for about 3 min and that was it ps3 never saw it but wifi isn't being very stable right now.

6. shared91

shared91 Member

from DROID X - DLNA Application

7. dyno

Thanks, I was not aware of that.

Next question -- is there a plug-in or codec that I can install on the PS3 or do I have to convert files on the PC?

8. shared91

shared91 Member

my guess would be you have to do it on the pc for now.
    since we are going back an forth my ps3 can see my orb and playon dlna servers and my pc and see my phone but ps3 can't see my phone. I updated to the latest firmware on ps3 and nothing.

9. dyno

Actually I just found a free app called Twonky Server. It works! I'm looking at photos that I took today on my HDTV via the PS3. There was absolutely no additional setup needed and you do not need to use the DLNA app. No wires! Check it out.

10. shared91

shared91 Member

nice. will check out tonight. think i've heard of that before.

11. shared91

shared91 Member

still no go with twonky server. I played with the pc version a few years ago thats where i remember this from. PS3 still only sees the servers from my pc. My pc sees the phone once in a while but fails to install drivers even after i connected with usb and installed them