Does overclocking really do much?

Last Updated:

1. UnexplainedBacon

UnexplainedBacon Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everyone,

I am wondering if there is actually an appreciable performance boost when overclocking the Droid CPU. Does it really improve performance, or is it more just so we can say "Hey lookee here! I OC'd mah Droid!"? Nothing wrong with the latter if thats the case, I am just wondering...

Specifically I am wondering about framerates in games. I have Angry Birds (for example) on both my Droid and my iPod Touch. It is smooth as silk on the Touch, but the framerate sucks balls on Droid. Wondering if OC'ing will do anything for that.

Say thankee, sai.

Advertisement
  2. Thornfullessrose

Thornfullessrose Well-Known Member

If you overclock you Droid's processor, Angry Birds should run better for example.
    overclocking your processor makes your phone faster, simply put.

550mhz(2.1) or 600mhz(2.2) overclocked to 800mhz or 1ghz is a BIG difference! Trust me.

3. gallandof

gallandof Well-Known Member

yes it definately makes it run faster, when I set my CPU clock to 400 mhz I can notice some lag in things such as unlocking and opening the app tray, when I up it to 600 it gets rid of the lock screen lag, when I up that to say 800mhz it runs silky smooth, I prefer to run my phone at 1000mhz top 600mhz minimum, keep me lag free and perfmorance in games is perfect (no lag in angry birds, asphalt 5, some lag in hoimerun battle 3d)

4. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

It makes a huge difference. The disparity in performance between something close to stock (550 or 600) and 1000 or so is enormous. You can really see and feel a difference in everything you do. I haven't gone below 950MHz in a long time, I can't deal with the slowness if I do.

5. twistedlim

twistedlim Well-Known Member

Not only is overclocking a bonus, but the ability to underclock for certain situations can also save you on battery life. The above statements seem correct to me. At 1000 there is huge difference over stock 600, beyond that it is hard to notice.

6. SirVilhelm

SirVilhelm Well-Known Member

I run at 1.1 and 200, I notice a huge difference from stock both is performance and batt life.