• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does Pandora use data while listening wirelessly?

Check your settings first. Typically, if you are on a wi-fi connection, it trumps the cellular data connection, but on my Captivate, the wi-fi setting is set to go to sleep (and use cellular data instead) when the screen is off, which will most likely happen while you are streaming music. To change it so the wi-fi never turns off, to into the phone's menu -> wireless and network -> wi-fi settings -> tap the menu button and select advanced which has an option for wi-fi sleep policy that had been defaulted to sleep "when screen turns off". There you have the option to change it to "never" or "never when plugged in". I'm new to the Android platform, coming from a 3GS, so I'm still learning the ins and outs, but this seems like a big, expensive one to me.

Reactions: Terry S
Upvote 0
Check your settings first. Typically, if you are on a wi-fi connection, it trumps the cellular data connection, but on my Captivate, the wi-fi setting is set to go to sleep (and use cellular data instead) when the screen is off, which will most likely happen while you are streaming music. To change it so the wi-fi never turns off, to into the phone's menu -> wireless and network -> wi-fi settings -> tap the menu button and select advanced which has an option for wi-fi sleep policy that had been defaulted to sleep "when screen turns off". There you have the option to change it to "never" or "never when plugged in". I'm new to the Android platform, coming from a 3GS, so I'm still learning the ins and outs, but this seems like a big, expensive one to me.

Wow this is huge and might want to be posted in a seperate post with a heading all its own. I am a noob to smartphones so maybe I am the only one that didn't know this but from the sounds of it at the default setting when your screen goes to black or "sleeps" it switches from wifi to 3G which could cost a lot of people a lot of money!

Upvote 0
Wow this is huge and might want to be posted in a seperate post with a heading all its own. I am a noob to smartphones so maybe I am the only one that didn't know this but from the sounds of it at the default setting when your screen goes to black or "sleeps" it switches from wifi to 3G which could cost a lot of people a lot of money!

Unless you had an iphone and they let you keep unlimited data. Well worth $30 IMO.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones