• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

does rooting invalidate insurance?

I have heard of Unrooting which some people do but A mod on another forum had said before they would know or not if it has been Rooted or not via some secret logfile???

But I'm sure I've seen people , Change back to the Stock Version that came with the phione {If they can find one , or from a nandroid backup they made} -> Then unroot it and send it for repair....

Upvote 0
I'm sceptical about all of this - firstly if there was a hardware failure I doubt if the software on the phone would even be an issue - are busy service depts going to be that bothered or even notice? - they seem to be more obsessed with detecting moisture.
In fact my Nat West Gold policy makes no exclusion for anything like this, and even recommends a full backup of the phone is taken before sending it in (surely they mean root the phone and make a Nandroid backup as the best method?;))

Upvote 0
They will have to take into account that these phones are a new breed and are now like computers - they can be configured in many different ways with all kinds of 3rd party software - there is no way that they will be able to police the configuration of a returned handset and in the same way as when you return a faulty PC they will surely just repair it with the proviso that it may come back "wiped".

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones