• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Does rooting the Epic fix the GPS, Add Android 2.2 and lose 4G?

I'm not interested in reading everything people have posted here (lack of patience), but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. I had a gps lock (30 meters as usual...) right before I flashed Froyo. Once I was on froyo, gps stopped working. After a factory reset (it kept froyo just deleted all my apps and settings), my gps worked great and I started getting locks at 10 meters. After waiting about 7 seconds, the accuracy went down to 2 meters and persisted (well it did go up to 4 or 5 meters once) for a half an hour ride. It works great now. Don't ask me how that works, I have no idea.

Upvote 0
You sure about that or do you mean it doesn't work for you?

I have read posts from Duran, Stoney and others that say it's working for them.

I'm getting ready to re-flash to stock and then back to DK28 using ODIN under the belief that it will work. I don't want to waste my time if it won't.
I just got back from a round trip to the East coast over the last week and a half. I used GOOGLE Maps/NAV the whole time while on the road. I did lose a GPS signal a few times (it came back on almost immediately) The only problem I noticed is that the Satellite map would go away and only rebooting the phone would make it reappear This happened on the way to the east coast after about 10 hours of use and the next morning without an intervening reboot. The it happened again yesterday when nearing Omaha after running all day Monday and 8 hours yesterday. I have always gotten immediate satellite locks when turning on GOOGLE maps. GPS test shows normally 10 or 11 satellites found and in use. Accuracy at 10-11 feet at most with it normally 8-9 FEET. I've seen 4 feet on occaision. I'm really happy with how my phone works. I DID notice My phone is losing battery with it even being plugged into a car charger the whole time. It even shows a Blue LED and displays the Your battery is 100% message disconnect your charger. Then even not disconnected when finally disconnecting it it showed 50% in my Battery widget. The display was on the whole time so the charger isn't keeping up with the usage.

Upvote 0
That Chino guy, when asked for actual data, vanished.
Typical of extreme claims.

Actually, it's typical of people who have said what they had to say and then moved on to other topics of interest to them. I hardly see the rationale of pointing that out in any case, as we tend to have a simple principle here - we attack problems and not other users. You seem to be new here, allow me to demonstrate how we do that:

Requiring agreement is not the right path to understanding this GPS issue. The right path might be to wonder why some people absolutely suffer this problem when others absolutely do not.

Samsung has flatly admitted, several times that this is a flaw they created (citations upon request).

Isn't it therefore counterintuitive or impossible for some to not suffer it?

No.

Following that set of observables, others have reasonably postulated that what seems to be at play here is inadequate cpu management of the gps services, especially in light of the servicing requirement for the gps chip used by your class of Samsung phones.

If true, then it's entirely possible and reasonable that no single gps-specific set of test conditions is going to expose this problem for those not suffering it - and that's because each user sets up their phone with apps uniquely, and the Linux process scheduler is stochastic, and therefore each user ends up with different execution profiles at the time of test from others.

This is a very common class of pernicious software defect and is usually the most difficult to isolate for correction. The validity of the observables that some do not suffer this tends to very strongly suggest that this isn't a hardware problem, per se.

The recent non-fix announced by Samsung for some models effectively cleared the gps caches. This seemed to work for some, or to work for a short while, or to work not at all.

A poster in another thread for another variant of your phone offered this during the dead of last night:

I downloaded GPS Status from the Android Market. This app allows you to delete the cached GPS data and reload the AGPS data manually at will.

This is what I do and it's so far worked for me consistently.

Before I use any GPS based app, I open up GPS Status and use TOOLS to delete the cached GPS data. Again under TOOLS, I then reload the AGPS data from the internet (AGPS data is info sent to your phone telling it approximately where you're located - your cell carrier can determine your general area by which cellsite you're connected to). It's giving the GPS a head start to which satellites to listen for. In simple terms, it's basic data telling the GPS "these satellites should be overhead right now". This headstart allows the GPS to start collecting the ephemeris and almanac data which is needed to calculate postion. Since I cleared the cached GPS data previously, it could take up to 30 secs for the new data to be received by the Captivate to be used as the new cached GPS data. For me, once I follow these steps, my GPS Status apps shows that I'm locked on to satellites within approximately 30-45 sec for the initial lock. I then exit out of GPS Status and start Google Maps. Google Maps consistently so far locks onto satellites within 10-15 sec and its dead-on.
He goes on to agree that this isn't an ideal solution and a bit of pain, but for those with this problem it might constitute an effective, temporary work-around.

Others in that forum haven't had time to see his post yet, much less test this out, but I'm offering this info for those that are desperate for some sort of relief from this issue until the time comes that Samsung ponies up a fix. If you're suffering from this defect, please test his claim and report back.

In the meantime, flashing a new rom may or may not solve the problem - if true that this is an execution-time mismanagement of the gps chip's operating requirements, then it's true that changing the execution profile - such as occurs when a new rom is installed or cache is cleared and another app introduced - _might_ alleviate this problem. I would NOT expect that to be an actual cure though, because it simply attacks an effect leading to the problem, not the problem itself.

I could be wrong, but thought you all here might have some interest in this.

Upvote 0
Please forgive my ignorance, I'm new to the scene... I love my Epic but the lack of a fully working GPS is leaving a really sour taste in my mouth and right now I'm ready to trade in for an Evo.......but the epic has soooooo much more power.

So can rooting it fix the damned GPS issue?, Can I put 2.2 on here via rooting it?

I also hear from Evo users that rooting kills the 4G ability of the phone - Is this true or are they failing somewhere?

1. Please, explain to me what power you have over the EVO?

2. No, that is not true.

Upvote 0
Actually if you're not careful you can kill the 4G on the evo when you root it. Absolute fact.

It will be interesting to compare the power of both devices after Sprint and Samsung finally update it. Right now in current form the evo spanks it but it's not a fair comparison...

The EVO does not Spank the Epic.

The phones are on equal levels. They are just as powerful as one another. The cameras come down to personal opinon and the differences between Sense UI and Samsung's is personal opinion. It blows my mind when these guys claim one phone is better than another. They both have their pros/cons and well there is no one better phone. Almost equal Specs, Almost equal performance. 2.2 Froyo is def an advantage but this wouldn't be the first time Samsung has lacked in this department.

I like to get on my soapbox every now and then and act like I have the most superior phone, but It's not true. We all have great phones whose abilities are individual to one another in different circumstances. ie Hummingbird processors are hellacious on 3D gaming. .......to each his own.

Rooting does not effect 4G whatsoever.

Upvote 0
Actually, you can not kill 4G on an Evo by rooting it, you can install a rom that doesn't support it.

Actually I think you're more right than I was. It's not the root that kills it but something that can happen when you flash stuff like roms and other files. There is the problem with roms that just don't support it and then there is the problem with the wimax keys that disappear from the phone for good (if you don't have a backup). From what I understand when they're gone they're gone for good.

I wasn't really trying to start an evoversusepic thread but just correcting some info on the forum.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones