Does Rooting Your Captivate Take Away the Replacement Plan?

Last Updated:

1. TripsYou

TripsYou Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am thinking about rooting my captivate. I pay a monthly fee for phone protection, you know...its like 5$ a month extra. If I were to root my phone does it take away the Samsung warranty, the 5$ warranty I pay for in case my phone breaks or messes up. Does it void any warranties when you root it?

Advertisement
  2. BookLover

BookLover Well-Known Member

Opinions vary. One article I've read says the repair dept doesn't check for rooting when they do repairs. But the official policy from the providers say yes, it does void warranty.

Why do you want to root? Maybe you can accomplish what you want without rooting.

3. MarcMaiden

MarcMaiden Well-Known Member

It voids the warranty only if you return the handset rooted. that being said, there are many easy ways to unroot

4. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

technically it voids the warranty but it is easily removed and there is no trace of it. mine was rooted and i had to send it into samsung and they sent me a brand new one. i doubt 99% of people even know how to check for it though

5. jamina1

jamina1 Member

Cancel your AT&T insurance ($5 a month for 2 years of your contract = $120) and get a Squaretrade Warranty (only $99)- they'll totally replace your phone if it breaks or if you drop it or get it wet, which AT&T WILL NOT DO. Plus, they won't just send you a refurbed version of your phone, you get a brand new cost equivalent!