• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does Shield have a place in our tech-absorbed homes?

Or is this just another mini tablet option rather than a threat to portable gaming? Wasn't there another device that had the potential to play PC games on the go? Don't we already have tablets that can more than handle the Tegra Zone games? Aren't some of us already playing console quality games on the go, albeit without the ability to connect to the TV?

Yes; Yes; Yes; Yes.

Those are my answers. I'm hesitant to get excited at this early junction given that we know so much about the OUYA and so little about Project Shield. If the Shield can come close to the $99 price point of the OUYA while still arguing its enhancements, then you may consider me listening.

The only thing that disappoints me is the design. It seems to be pushing the console side more than the actual handheld/tablet side, which is a huge waste of potential for Android and kind of alienates users who are used to playing mobile games... Well, while mobile.

The JXD and Yinlips devices feel so natural to play outside of the house and just as good on the big screen. On the other hand, I don't see people taking something like this outside of the house with them.

A lot of people see it as redundant, but I'm willing to give it a chance if it's cheap enough. Ouya can't really push the same kind of power, and the screen might come in handy. I guess I'm a bit biased since game systems are what got me into Android.

Upvote 0
Here's the problem for Nvidia with the Shield..I think the cost is going to be high enough to rival most 7" tablets...maybe more. The joystick looks nice but would be in the way when trying to type or use it for basic tablet functions (so your point is valid omnius). But someone who can only afford (or justify) one device, they may be in between the shield and a 7 or 10 inch tablet.

If the shield costs more than a Nexus 7 which can be paired with PS3, Xbox, or bluetooth controller designed for Android...that may be a really tough choice. Video, web surfing, emailing, etc., would all be better on a true tablet.

Sure the shield looks nice but if it is ONLY for dedicated gamers, why not just pick up a PS Vita?

Upvote 0
Sure the shield looks nice but if it is ONLY for dedicated gamers, why not just pick up a PS Vita?

before trading in my PS Vita for the shield, i really only used the vita to play PS1 games and watch netflix, as it turns out the shield can also do these, and with emulation the shield is a much better choice. at the moment, no game on the vita makes people go "huh, i wanna buy the vita JUST to play that game".

Upvote 0
I'm quite disappointed in the Shield. It doesn't support Amazon Instant video... and unlike my years-old Google TV equipment, it doesn't have HDMI pass-through. I had to sacrifice another piece of equipment to free up a port on my TV. Hopefully Skipr TV will be out on time (Q3) with 4K UHD and HDMI pass-through. My 2¢

EDIT: Sending it back. I'll pick up a Vilso Ti4 XMBC streaming player instead. Let's see how THAT works out. If it does, I may not need Skipr or HDMI pass-through.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones