Does Shield have a place in our tech-absorbed homes?General

1. KosmoCrisis

KosmoCrisis Member

Or is this just another mini tablet option rather than a threat to portable gaming? Wasn't there another device that had the potential to play PC games on the go? Don't we already have tablets that can more than handle the Tegra Zone games? Aren't some of us already playing console quality games on the go, albeit without the ability to connect to the TV?

Yes; Yes; Yes; Yes.

Those are my answers. I'm hesitant to get excited at this early junction given that we know so much about the OUYA and so little about Project Shield. If the Shield can come close to the $99 price point of the OUYA while still arguing its enhancements, then you may consider me listening.

Advertisement
    :
  2. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Not even close. I'd be surprised if the Shield sells for less than $250. I don't know if there is a place for it but I'd love to play with one. Could be a big hit with teens.
  3. Chex Remix

Chex Remix Well-Known Member

The only thing that disappoints me is the design. It seems to be pushing the console side more than the actual handheld/tablet side, which is a huge waste of potential for Android and kind of alienates users who are used to playing mobile games... Well, while mobile.

The JXD and Yinlips devices feel so natural to play outside of the house and just as good on the big screen. On the other hand, I don't see people taking something like this outside of the house with them.

A lot of people see it as redundant, but I'm willing to give it a chance if it's cheap enough. Ouya can't really push the same kind of power, and the screen might come in handy. I guess I'm a bit biased since game systems are what got me into Android.
  4. omnius

omnius Well-Known Member

People need to stop thinking of this as a tablet. It runs the full OS yes. But it's target audience is SPECIFICALLY gamers, not tablet-toting Angry Birds players.
  5. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Here's the problem for Nvidia with the Shield..I think the cost is going to be high enough to rival most 7" tablets...maybe more. The joystick looks nice but would be in the way when trying to type or use it for basic tablet functions (so your point is valid omnius). But someone who can only afford (or justify) one device, they may be in between the shield and a 7 or 10 inch tablet.

If the shield costs more than a Nexus 7 which can be paired with PS3, Xbox, or bluetooth controller designed for Android...that may be a really tough choice. Video, web surfing, emailing, etc., would all be better on a true tablet.

Sure the shield looks nice but if it is ONLY for dedicated gamers, why not just pick up a PS Vita?
  6. Drogyn

Drogyn Well-Known Member

When I saw it runs steam pc games I thought "cool"
    When I saw it streams steam pc games and you still need a really high end machine to get the graphics they were showing I went right off it.
  7. Chex Remix

Chex Remix Well-Known Member

I can think of a few reasons...
  8. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

I will buy one of these to stream games to my TV and play. Done deal. I watched a demo of this live a PDXLan a few weeks ago in Portland and it was awesome!
  9. worknman

worknman Well-Known Member

Because the PS Vita sucks ass, and doesn't run emulators :p
  10. thestonerguy

thestonerguy New Member

before trading in my PS Vita for the shield, i really only used the vita to play PS1 games and watch netflix, as it turns out the shield can also do these, and with emulation the shield is a much better choice. at the moment, no game on the vita makes people go "huh, i wanna buy the vita JUST to play that game".