• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Does solely rooting cause bugs?

omgu8myrice

Oct 17, 2010
I've had my DX2 for a while now and its been 99.999% problem free. I recently rooted it simply because I wanted to run a tether program that required root. ALL I did was root; nothing was done as far as OS mods or whatnot.

Lately I'm having tons of bugs. These didn't start happening until a few days ago; I ran with the root for probably a week or two with no problems at all.

Here are the bugs I'm experiencing:

1) After an hour or two (or sometimes 10 minutes) of having the phone running since a last reboot or battery pull, the keyboard stops working. The keys indicate they're being hit, I get the tacticle feedback, words appear as I type them in the little wordboxes below the text field.. but no text is actually inputted into the text box. Fixes upon turning the phone off/on or pulling the battery.. IMMENSELY frustrating!

2) Battery life is down the drain. I used to go a day or a day and a half no problem, now I'm charging the phone after 6-8 hours (and sometimes it hangs up and thinks it's still charging even after being unplugged)

3) Monster lag in certain things - specifically, calling someone. I'll pull up my contact list, hit a contact, hit the call button.. and nothing. The button registers being hit, but no call places. Then, 3 minutes later my phone will call the person.

Any ideas? This phone is honestly frustrating me enough right now that it's making me want to talk in front of a bus!

Thanks

I've had my DX2 for a while now and its been 99.999% problem free. I recently rooted it simply because I wanted to run a tether program that required root. ALL I did was root; nothing was done as far as OS mods or whatnot.

Lately I'm having tons of bugs. These didn't start happening until a few days ago; I ran with the root for probably a week or two with no problems at all.

Here are the bugs I'm experiencing:

1) After an hour or two (or sometimes 10 minutes) of having the phone running since a last reboot or battery pull, the keyboard stops working. The keys indicate they're being hit, I get the tacticle feedback, words appear as I type them in the little wordboxes below the text field.. but no text is actually inputted into the text box. Fixes upon turning the phone off/on or pulling the battery.. IMMENSELY frustrating!

2) Battery life is down the drain. I used to go a day or a day and a half no problem, now I'm charging the phone after 6-8 hours (and sometimes it hangs up and thinks it's still charging even after being unplugged)

3) Monster lag in certain things - specifically, calling someone. I'll pull up my contact list, hit a contact, hit the call button.. and nothing. The button registers being hit, but no call places. Then, 3 minutes later my phone will call the person.

Any ideas? This phone is honestly frustrating me enough right now that it's making me want to talk in front of a bus!

Thanks

It's not root. I'm having the exact same problems on an all stock device. The keyboard issue is a known problem from Motorola and supposedly they will have an update that fixes it. They just released the update for the Droid X today that fixes the keyboard problem. As for the other 2 issues, I don't have an answer for you and neither does technical support at Verizon. I'm sorry that you have these issues, but it is a little reassuring that someone else is having the same problems. BTW if you hit the call more than once while it's lagging, it calls the person twice. If you figure this out I'd love to know.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones