Does Straighttalk throttle?

Last Updated:

1. THE W

THE W Well-Known Member

So it seems like ST speeds are pretty good(though I still don't know how well it does in detroit) but I need to know if they're gonna throttle me on a att sim card?

Advertisement
  2. craZDude

craZDude Well-Known Member

I don't think they throttle (at least I haven't heard of that), but they do have their hidden/arbitrary data cap.
  3. THE W

THE W Well-Known Member

yeah thats what im talking about. all that hidden BS. someone said in another thread they hit it at around 2GBs. i wanted to know if anyone else on this service got the same thing.
  4. OldSmoky

OldSmoky Well-Known Member

Yes they throttle in a sense. Even though the monthly limit is 2GB if you go over 200MB in any one day, you'll probably get a message or a call from them. If you keep it up, they cancel you. In other words, they want you spread out your 2GB over the month.
  5. THE W

THE W Well-Known Member

Appreciate the info. I won't be messing with this carrier. If it's too good to be true, it usually is.
  6. tnstra

tnstra Well-Known Member

After reading all the comments here I purchased a Samsung Proclaim (CDMA-Verizon) and used it on ST for 3 months. While I would love to agree with the above comments that would make us both wrong.
    I used an average of 3.5 GB a month for 3 months and never had a problem, and was not to the best of my knowledge subject to a slow down ....... sorry
  7. OldSmoky

That's good to know. Thanks.
  8. oldnoob2

oldnoob2 Well-Known Member

If you read all the posts from people that have been throttled or the few that have been cancelled, they are all on the AT&T sim card. Apparently ST's contract with AT&T allows for less data than the other carriers.
  9. OldSmoky

Is there away to use the CDMA version of another smart phone (GN2 for example) on ST? In other words, a smart phone not offered by ST.
  10. oldnoob2

Not really. Only ST branded phones will work on the CDMA side. There is a way to flash the ESN and other authentication information from a ST donor phone to another one, but besides being a pain it is probably illegal. So the short answer is no.

If you want to use a lot of data on your own phone with ST, T-Mobile is the way to go if you have a good T-Mobile signal in your area.
  11. THE W

THE W Well-Known Member

looks like this is the only phone that ST has which works on VZWs network.

what are the limits with the tmobile sim card or the unlocked sim?
  12. oldnoob2

There are other Verizon phones on ST, unfortunately I'm not up on the model numbers. Next time you're in Walmart look at the boxes. The Verizon one usually have the red Verizon coverage map on the box.

Throttling on ST is mostly on the AT&T phones/SIMs. On the other carriers they seem to be more tolerant with higher data limits. One last point, there is no unlocked SIM. When you choose that option they just send you either a T-Mobile or AT&T SIM, based on their criteria and the activation zip code.
  13. THE W

THE W Well-Known Member

Gotta find them at Walmart eh?
    4 Mbps, still not enough. If they had a $60 truly unlimited plan i would make the switch.
  14. Fuzzy13

Fuzzy13 Well-Known Member

I bought a tmob sim when I signed up but it shows up as att in the play store for my device.

So what do I actually have? I want to test the current theories for data throttle or cap.