• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does Tethering work?

Yep, I know, Sprint wants you to get one of there mobile broadband cards and pay an extra $60 or so bucks a month, that's all. It's a money thing. I can live without tethering though, since the Hero seems to be able to do almost anything a regular computer can, of course not everything.

Upvote 0
I just got my Sprint Hero yesterday. So far I can confirm that PDANet Tethering works on Windows. I run Mac though, so I am still working on a solution.

So far it looks like it is at least possible, so everyone keep trying, there must be another way.

Right now, I am trying to root my Hero (never done that before), then once I have root, I will play around a bit.

Upvote 0
I just got my Sprint Hero yesterday. So far I can confirm that PDANet Tethering works on Windows. I run Mac though, so I am still working on a solution.

So far it looks like it is at least possible, so everyone keep trying, there must be another way.

Right now, I am trying to root my Hero (never done that before), then once I have root, I will play around a bit.

Well this way works. Thanks for the heads up here.

Ron - The offical way does not work. Thats what I tried.

Upvote 0
From what Sprint is saying you can actually tether the device based on the instructions in the manual, BUT you need a tethering plan from Sprint so it will cost you more per month. So, it's possible doing it the official way, just more money. I say go the PDAnet way. We as consumers shouldn't have to pay more money for what we're already paying for (a monthly internet service).

Upvote 0
From what Sprint is saying you can actually tether the device based on the instructions in the manual, BUT you need a tethering plan from Sprint so it will cost you more per month. So, it's possible doing it the official way, just more money. I say go the PDAnet way. We as consumers shouldn't have to pay more money for what we're already paying for (a monthly internet service).
No, its not actually as your plan does not support tethering. Extra money or not.

I realize that the manual says you cant, but you cant because Sprint doesnt allow it. In theory, you should be able to buy a tethering (PAM) plan, but like I said, they arent "compatible" with your current play. Which is more or less Sprints way of saying they dont want you running a tether over their network.

Upvote 0
No, its not actually as your plan does not support tethering. Extra money or not.

I realize that the manual says you cant, but you cant because Sprint doesnt allow it. In theory, you should be able to buy a tethering (PAM) plan, but like I said, they arent "compatible" with your current play. Which is more or less Sprints way of saying they dont want you running a tether over their network.

Oh I gotcha now! Well, I say we use the PDAnet way, just have to find instructions on how to set that up.

Upvote 0
Well guys, my solution for now (posting from it), is to use PDANet on Windows in parallels, and then share the connection to the rest of my Mac. It works well and is fast, but is a PAIN to setup and adds a lot of battery drain to the laptop because of running two operating systems at the same time and the associated power requirements that entitles.

I hope that someone gets root soon, and/or June Fabrics releases a Snow Leopard version of their USB Tethering software. FYI, for those still on 10.5 and below, there seems to be a version available Here. I have not been able to try it or verify that it works though, it is in Beta.

All those on windoz, you already have a working solution, remember there is a 30day free trial for PDANet.

Upvote 0
Guys -

******BEFORE ATTEMPTING PLEASE MAKE SURE WIFI IS TURNED OFF*******

I originally tried this with WIFI on, and it will share wifi connection fine, but not the cellular connection so far.

I got tethering to work out of the box here's what you need to do:

1. Go to HTC's website and install the latest version of HTC Sync or install it off the memory card. (If your memory card isnt mounting properly make sure that you go into your notifications and select the USB symbol, and "Mount" your memory card.

2. Set your phone in Settings > Wireless Controls > Mobile Network Sharing.
Make sure this is checked. (You may also need to set your Hero to Debugging mode, do this by going to Settings > Applications > Development > Check USB debugging.

3. When you do the above step, windows should find your device and ask you to install drivers for an "Android phone". Sprint or HTC doesn't tell you that these drivers were installed with the HTC sync software. They should be located by default in your C:\program files\htc\htc drivers directory. Point the driver to this directory and install them. Check your device manager, you should see a network adapter named Android NDIS adapter or something to that effect.

4. Unplug your existing network connection from your computer and/or disable its wireless connection and windows should establish a network connection on its own.

I have verified this to work on windows vista home with the latest service packs installed. I will try it on Windows 7 Ultimate when I get home later.

Any questions please ask. :)

Upvote 0
Guys -

I got tethering to work out of the box here's what you need to do:

1. Go to HTC's website and install the latest version of HTC Sync or install it off the memory card. (If your memory card isnt mounting properly make sure that you go into your notifications and select the USB symbol, and "Mount" your memory card.

2. Set your phone in Settings > Wireless Controls > Mobile Network Sharing.
Make sure this is checked. (You may also need to set your Hero to Debugging mode, do this by going to Settings > Applications > Development > Check USB debugging.

3. When you do the above step, windows should find your device and ask you to install drivers for an "Android phone". Sprint or HTC doesn't tell you that these drivers were installed with the HTC sync software. They should be located by default in your C:\program files\htc\htc drivers directory. Point the driver to this directory and install them. Check your device manager, you should see a network adapter named Android NDIS adapter or something to that effect.

4. Unplug your existing network connection from your computer and/or disable its wireless connection and windows should establish a network connection on its own.

I got one. Could you provide a link to the Sync program you used? Because the only one I could find on HTCs site (which may have changed by now) was 2.0.4 and the version that shipped with the phone was 2.0.5.

Edit
Nevermind. I see that they finally updated their site to include the Hero and 2.0.5

Upvote 0
Guys -

I have verified this to work on windows vista home with the latest service packs installed. I will try it on Windows 7 Ultimate when I get home later.

Im still not getting this to work and it doesnt sound like you did anything different than I did the first day.

I keep getting a bad username/password when it tried to use the the network to tether.

Upvote 0
thats weird, my plan is the new mobile everything plan for $70 a month with handset insurance. I'm not sure if this makes a difference or not either. It is also plausible that some changes were made between now and then?

What OS are you using? I will post screens of the network connection properties when I get home.

Upvote 0
thats weird, my plan is the new mobile everything plan for $70 a month with handset insurance. I'm not sure if this makes a difference or not either. It is also plausible that some changes were made between now and then?

What OS are you using? I will post screens of the network connection properties when I get home.
64bit Vista, but its not the OS thats the problem. I can clearly see the authentication failing on the handset.

Which is the same issue I had when I stated tethering didnt work the first time. Obviously, like everything else about Sprint lately, phones, plans and who knows what else, were not created equal. :D

I have the Everything Data Share 3k. So....

Upvote 0
yes this works to the letter. im running XP and the network adapter was installed. Zonealarm popped up and noticed the network connection. seems as long as you have htc sync installed the drivers should install on their own... pr0n i appreciate the input.
I downloaded the software from this link: HTC - Support - HTC Hero? (Sprint) - Software Download

I figured the HTC website had something more recent than was on the phone. So I went there first.

I will check the properties of the network connection, but I honestly didn't have to do ANYTHING to setup the connection in windows.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones