Does the Brigthness really matter that much?General

Last Updated:

1. captainm27

captainm27 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I unplugged my phone from the charger this morning and took it to work. After regular use during my day at the end of my shift, 10 hours later, my battery is at about 70%. When I check the battery status and click on battery details, the Display only shows that it's taken about 6% of my battery. I have my display set to auto-brightness. To me, 6% is nothing, and it is so annoying when the auto-brightness dims the back-light. Tomorrow I am going to disable my auto-brightness and use the maximum brightness and see if that really makes much of a difference. If it only takes a small percentage again, I'm just going to stick with that.

What is your brightness setting, and how much percentage does it take from your battery? Is it a very small number, like in the single digits?

Advertisement
  2. ctxx24

ctxx24 Well-Known Member

i use full brightness dont know what it takes but i use my phone all day and it lasts 8 am till i plug it in at night 11 ish... just looked its 7% now most of the day gone

3. 34.50

34.50 Well-Known Member

I find 50% to be all right for day to day use, display uses about anywhere from 2-5% depending on usage.. I don't watch videos on the phone, so brightness doesn't matter to me, but I do have auto-brightness off, that was annoying for the 5 seconds it was on.

4. Reddog80p

Reddog80p Well-Known Member

Auto brightness works alot better in sunlight. I'd like it to be a hair brighter indoors but I stick to auto brightness on always.

5. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

High brightness is very important when out in the sun.

Like reddog said, autobrightness works too since it will bring it to high when in the sun.

6. kyle1745

kyle1745 Well-Known Member

I guess this is a bigger issue with other devices. I leave mine on auto.

7. Kev13Dd

Kev13Dd Active Member

I started doing high brightness full time when my display/backlighting was only taking up 2% of my overall battery life according to the phone settings. Small cost for a beautiful screen looking its best

K

8. TheGoatLantern

TheGoatLantern Well-Known Member

full brightness at all times for me is taking 12% of my battery. And for the record I get about 10-12 hours out of my battery with heavy to moderate use.

9. captainm27

Hmm...that's what I figured. I'm thinking the AMOLED technology is so efficient that it barely puts any strain on the battery, thus the really low percentage usage from the battery. Might as well enjoy the beautiful screen.

10. TheGoatLantern

my thoughts exactly ;)

11. ctxx24

ctxx24 Well-Known Member

yup yup so why not keep that beautiful screen lit up

12. evilotto

evilotto Well-Known Member

same here, just started forcing full brightness at all times and the % of battery use is almost the same as when I was running 28% most of the day and with full brightness the screen just looks so beautiful :)

13. SeattleYanksFan

SeattleYanksFan Well-Known Member

I hate auto-brightness. I turned it off the day I got the phone (before 4/29). I don't know if it's related, but the few days I turned my brightness up to about 70%, I noticed a decrease in battery life. I'm usually around 30% brightness (more than adequate) and my battery lasts for 24-30 hours (sometimes even more) with a fair amount of regular use when I'm not asleep (obviously, although the phone is left on and unplugged).

14. emilywebs

emilywebs Member

Dude. HOW? I get maybe 8 hours. Maybe.

15. TheGoatLantern

I know its controversial but I use atk, I don't use it to auto kill, I manually kill apps I know longer want running. I find that that has been a definite boon for my battery life. But it is called "advanced" task manager for a reason.

16. captainm27

I was right. Even with full brightness, my percentage was still around 7%. Ok, that settles it, I'm leaving it at full brightness.

17. CadelIV

CadelIV Member

just another reason to love the incredible. A friend of mine has the moto droid, auto bright was on and display took up 36% !

18. kibble

kibble Well-Known Member

/rant

Not that it's too big of a deal, but it kinda irks me when people say the "backlight" when talking about the Inc or any other phones with OLED tech.... There IS NO backlight, the whole screen is the "backlight" (not technically, but not gonna go into details)......

/rant.... carry on :p

19. Tinsammich

Tinsammich Well-Known Member

Sorry, lol, but what does boon mean? :confused:

20. poland626

poland626 Well-Known Member

weird. I unplugged mine this morning, it's at 11% used. wtf

21. dibs ODDJOB

dibs ODDJOB Well-Known Member

I use Timeriffic to turn my brightness up in the morning, then turn it to ~20% in the evening, since 100% brightness hurts my eyes in a dark room.

Also, I keep a Wifi+brightness 1x1 widget on my home screen that cycles between MIN 25% and MAX brightness with a simple touch. Helpful when outside at random times when I don't have 100% on.