does the droid 2 have 720p video record?Support

Last Updated:

1. tracerit

tracerit Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i know the droid x does, but how about the droid 2?

Advertisement
  2. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Yes, it does.

3. redpanda

redpanda Well-Known Member

Can you link to a source Steven? I know with a 5 mp camera and the gigahertz processor, it SHOULD be able to record 720p, but I haven't seen anyone who's gotten their hands on it confirm that.

4. Steven58

I read the article incorrectly and therefore misspoke. My apologies.

5. thescreensavers

thescreensavers Active Member

Yea, a tester said the phone was still recording in 480.

6. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

I don't think there is an article out right now that says anything about 720p, but yes you are correct. With the specs, it should be able to (also dependent on the sensor). With rumors that it will come with 2.2, that might be another hint of a move towards 720p recording.

Edit: Anyone have any info on the optics this thing will be packing?

7. Steven58

I just saw an article that stated that it will NOT have 720p. I can't remember where, but it seems less multi-media than the X, imo, from what I can gather.

8. woop

Well if the Incredible is set up for 720p, I don't see why the Droid 2 wouldn't be.

9. jradicle11

jradicle11 That Guy VIP Member

I was thinking the same thing. The DI does have an 8MP camera, though I'm not sure how much of a factor that is.

10. woop

I'd have to say little. Megapixels aren't really as important as people make them out to be, but that is how most of the general public associates camera hardware to quality.

11. Steven58

12. jradicle11

jradicle11 That Guy VIP Member

I guess I was more wondering what are the minimum MP requirements - if any - to have 720p recording.

After a little googling, turns out people have gotten the N1 to record in 720p. The N1 has a 5MP camera as well.

13. woop

It has more to do with the sensor than it does megapixels. Pretty sure there isn't any minimum, as long as the sensor is capable.

14. DROIDing

DROIDing Well-Known Member

Can't 720p be 'unlocked' with an update, much like the recent update to a European Android device? Are the 'guts' for 720p in the Droid 2, making it a possible candidate for HD recording at some point in time?

The Best Buy leaked document that just came out says "DVD" quality next to the Droid 2, and "HD" quality next to the Droid X in the side-by-side comparison list. :(

15. Android_LIFE

Android_LIFE Well-Known Member

Its not ALL about the megapixels.
    The answer lies with Texas Instruments.
    Texas Instruments OMAP36x Mobile Development Platform (MDP) is a fully-featured evaluation platform built around TI's OMAP3630 applications processor. The OMAP3630 applications processor "DOES" integrate powerful 720p multimedia.

Video recording in 720P would yet be another major feature to help sell the Droid 2.
    If it doesn't, it probably will down the road. The Nexus One does, Incredible, and X as well. Seems like HD recording is one day going to become the new standard in mobile devices.
    I did read on a internal VZ from Droid-Life that the droid 2 records dvd quality video. (VZ requested this document as well as others be removed).
    [Droid-Life even updated the thread saying so]
    Exclusive: Full Verizon DROID 2 Training Guide | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

The hardware is there to do it.

DROIDing likes this.
  16. DROIDing

So are you expecting this to be 'unlocked' later on, or someone around the forums to create a hack to enable 720p eventually, since all the hardware is there to make it happen?

17. Android_LIFE

Android_LIFE Well-Known Member

I presume if 720p does not come at launch, Motorola will be the ones adding the feature later down the road since we will most likely see a locked bootloader on the Droid 2.

The Droid 2 is identical in hardware to the X, besides the camera and sd card size.
    So I wont be surprised if 720p is there along with a very similar if not near identical camcorder interface.
    I will know for sure when I play with the Droid2 out on the 11th.

Somebody already with the Droid2 wanna jump in and confirm video capture specs on the Droid 2???

DROIDing likes this.
  18. TheAlmightyDrew

TheAlmightyDrew Well-Known Member

I was reading this article. In the specs, it says that the video record quality is DVD which is a letdown. Major letdown.

19. flashbox

flashbox Member

I'm really confused with the whole video recording thing... What exactly is everyone recording with their cell phones that needs to be HD anyway?

Oh man I loved that video of your dog on its back farting in its sleep, but it would have been funnier if it was 720p.

Bubba Army likes this.
  20. clos1084

clos1084 Well-Known Member

21. redpanda

If it comes on the Milestone 2 but the Droid 2 doesn't get updated to enable it, I will FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU like you wouldn't believe.

Engadget says it will be released in Europe in 4Q 10, so we shouldn't have to wait too long to find out.

22. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

D1 has 5MP camera, not 8, as stated above.

D1 also has "DVD quality" recording, but that does not mean 720p...however, the video quality on my D1 has been quite nice, IMHO, much better than picture quality.

There is, as noted above, way too much focus on megapixels...there is no direct relationship between megapixels and photo quality...more MP DOES NOT equal better pictures, just bigger pictures/files. I wish consumers got this so that manufacturers would spend a lot less energy increasing MP, and spend much more effort on overall image quality. D1 is a great example...lots of MP, little quality. My son's ENV2 w/a 2.1 MP camera takes far better pictures than my Droid...he laughs at my images... <sniff>

Sadly, MP are just too easy to use in a marketing campaign ("Mine is bigger than theirs! It's better!!") while image quality is harder to communicate/prove in sound bytes. Like printer marketing where print speed is way over emphasized...we (consumers in general) get what we deserve for not taking the time to educate ourselves.

23. gallandof

gallandof Well-Known Member

24. redpanda

Gallandof, several phones like the HTC Incredible and the Nexus One have had 720p video recording enabled via a software update from the manufacturer, so there's hope they would be able to do that with the Droid 2 as well.

25. DROIDing

This would be cool... since the camera is so deplorable, hopefully some nice video footage would make up for it?