Does the droid use more data than a blackberry, why?

Last Updated:

1. CBLJazz

CBLJazz Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My wife has a blackberry with no wifi- the tour- and i have the droid and althought i'm not worried about cost, unlimited data, i don't understand why my data usage is so much higher than hers. I turn wifi on at night too.

is it me or the phone?

Advertisement
  2. clos1084

clos1084 Well-Known Member

if you use a lot of web, yea its likely. All data gets routed through bb servers and is compressed.

Browser on bb generally sucks. It will always go to WAP sites which uses less data.

3. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

Also if you use Opera on the blackberry, it reroutes all the images to an Opera server to be compressed before they are sent to your phone (making it load faster and taking less bandwidth)

4. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

That's exactly it. The BlackBerry data is passed through RIM's servers and compressed. The browser also isn't as powerful as Androids (for now... perhaps they will improve that with the new webkit browser they are working on).

5. milrtime83

milrtime83 Well-Known Member

Aside from the compression that has been mentioned, you may just use your phone more than she does as well. I know I use my Droid a lot more than I ever used my BB to browse the web simply because the BB browser wasn't very good.

6. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

My billing cycle isn't over for another 2 weeks and I'm sitting on 3.5 gigs of data used (no tethering).

7. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Impossible to say. Does she have the same usage pattern as you?

It's likely a little from column A (BB compresses data) and a little from column B (you probably browse more on the Droid).

I guess you could switch devices, track usage and find out for yourself. :p

Not any more than the Droid "always goes to mobile sites". Just like on Android, it depends on how you have the browser set up. Browser emulation on the BB is pretty much the same thing as the user agent on Android. I never went to WAP sites on my 8310.