• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Does the EVO 4G LTE use a SIM Card (Answer: no SIM Card)

Yeah, it's just a circuit but they tell people that it's an embedded sim card.

That's interesting, I always assumed it was just a non-accessible SIM card for LTE (since CDMA doesn't use SIMs). It makes sense that by "embedded" they just mean "soldered to the board with the rest of the radios." :)

Given that Sprint and Verizon's LTE bands are incompatible, is it really a big deal that the SIM isn't accessible?

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
That's interesting, I always assumed it was just a non-accessible SIM card for LTE (since CDMA doesn't use SIMs). It makes sense that by "embedded" they just mean "soldered to the board with the rest of the radios." :)

Given that Sprint and Verizon's LTE bands are incompatible, is it really a big deal that the SIM isn't accessible?

Exactly. LTE is an evolved GSM tech, and GSM uses SIM cards - on a GSM phone, they contain your account information/clearance (what's the word - authorization?) to use the network and can store a bit of your personal details, including local contacts storage.

And how much of that is needed on an Android phone? And what other LTE network could you use it on? (answers - not much, and no where else)

And a SIM has the expense of a separate package and a slot with contacts. Sensible if you might move SIMs between phones, useless in this case.

So - while the international One X had that cost built-in, what did we get instead - the removable sd card. :rock:

The LTE/SIM function left over after removing the extraneous got buried on the motherboard somewhere, possibly reserved ROM and software for all we know.

And to satisfy the blogosphere, HTC said our phone had an embedded SIM during the pre-release.

And the first thing that Engadget didn't like in their review - the SIM wasn't removable because everyone knows that good SIMs are removable.

I was there for the Galaxy Nexus launch on Verizon - great phone, but a lot of nightmares over the physical micro SIM at launch with logistics and supply problems.

Good riddance says I. :) :D

We have an chunk of ROM memory set aside as the Android-required /sdcard folder - but that's marketed by all similar phones as "an internal sd card" - booooookay. Just like our "embedded SIM" - as my dad used to say - same difference. ;)

Upvote 0
Please I want to bay a HTC EVO 4G LITE but I don't now it's have a SIM CARD Or not because in my state ALBANIA I don't now it's functioning or not please help me what I have to do ......

The SIM is embedded, not removable, and just for LTE use.

Do your carriers there support CDMA rather than GSM?

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones