• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does the Evo have better battery life than the Palm Pre?

That is a tough question. My battery life on my Palm Pre was ALWAYS terrible.

I had to have it plugged in constantly. I don't know if it was because my Pre's kept breaking and the refurbished batteries just didn't have the capacity of a new one or what.

For all of the complaining about the Evo's battery life, I haven't had any issues.

When I first got it, I made sure to charge my battery all of the way and then calibrate it according to HTCs directions.

I use Startup Auditor to make sure I don't have random crap starting up with my phone, and so that random apps like Qik and the Sprint apps don't open up randomly and sucking down my battery.

I use System Panel Lite to close any other rogue apps that don't close down when I exit them (looking at your SportsTap), but I don't use Auto Task Killer or anything like that.

I am a pretty moderate user, I have a Live Wallpaper and I browse the web a bit. I also play some light games like Doodle Jump and WordWise andsend out like maybe 20-30 texts, make a couple of short phone calls and my battery will last me 8+ hours.

Everyone is different though though so I guess your best bet is to use Sprint's 30 day trial and find out how the phone handles your usage, and if it doesn't last, then you can either return it or get one of those 3000mah extended batteries.

Upvote 0
i have to chime in on this one, hell yes its better. my palm was a great phone(miss the swipe to delete) but if i unplugged at 9 i would have to charge by 2 and i dont mean just to keep it juiced i mean critically have to charge it. i passed my palm over to the ball and chain and after the 3rd day she started to complain. she doesnt use it at work so when she went in at 7am by 3 when she got out she would be at 43% without touching it. but i remember when i had it i would need to charge it minimally at least three times a day on moderate to heavy use. my evo im resorting to about one charge during the late evening. and thats under heavy use (due to layoff) so believe me im putting it thru work.lol. i can probably make thru the day but since i like to go out in about i like to be at least at 50% percent when i go out, in case im taking pictures with flash on. which is another thing when i had half charge on the pre and i would go on youtube or something like that within 10 min that thing would go down to setting off the 20 percent charge window. evo tends to be dramatically different for me. im not as concerned even when im below the half way mark. but for the most part when i read all the threads about battery life i think the evo does well not great not poor but more than ok. i was willing to live with the battery life of the palm pre which was only 5 hrs because i was happy with its capabilities now with the evo which im getting at least 8 to 9 hrs couldnt be happier.

Upvote 0
My battery experience has so far has been much much better than the pre. I do no active battery saving techniques with the evo. I have everything turned on; live wallpaper, Bluetooth, wifi, gmail is always on push. With that said, its not rooted and I have only downloaded a few app's since im very picky about what I put on my baby. Android is very good about power and memory management so i just llet it do its thing and I monitor its activity using system panel. I'm no power user but overall the battery usage has been much better than my pre ever was and I've only been using it for 4 days.

Upvote 0
hmmm...

I was a Pre owner, and took the phone off the overnight charge at 6:00 am. I usually found myself charging the Pre by 5:30 pm. (wifi, bluetooth and gps always on.)

Evo, off from overnight charge at 6:00 am. 1st charge at 1 pm. 2nd charge around 7 pm... So I would say the Evo battery life sucks, compared to the Pre. (GPS always off, bluetooth on, and wi-fi on when needed.)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
In my dealing with the EVO, I get MUCH better battery life than with the Pre. I could get through a day (take it off the charger in the morning and put it back on the charger before I went to bed) with the Pre but I never really used the Pre. Not sure why, I just never had a huge desire to play around with the Pre. I used it for texting, voice and email, but very little outside of that. With the EVO, I can get a day and a half and I really play with the EVO. I am constantly on the internet or just playing around with the phone. So for me, the EVO battery is much much better than the Pre.

PS oh and I am not rooted or using any task killers.

Upvote 0
Yes, the EVO has way better battery life than my Pre. I couldn't do half the things on my Pre that I can on my EVO. Simply because whenever I did anything like play games or browse the web or watch videos I could literally see my battery life decrease. On the EVO I can do all these things without worrying about the battery life. So in comparison I get the same amount of battery life out of both (off charger in the morning, back on before I go to bed) but I use the EVO way more than the Pre. BTW Not rooted and downloaded tons of apps, no task killer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones