Does The EVO Internal Memory Size Cause Issues?

Last Updated:

1. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled VIP Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,
    I'm an iPhone user but I want to move to Android. The EVO and Droid X are my top choices at the moment with the EVO inching ahead. While doing my research, I found the EVO has only 1gb internal memory while the Droid X has 8. I'm concerned this might be limiting as far as installing apps. I realize 2.2 will allow installing apps on the SD card but believe it's only possible if the author allows it.

I'm an app junkie with the iPhone and believe the limit is available memory. Right now I have 2.4gb of apps installed. Apple apps might be larger than Android apps, I don't know.

My question is has anyone found 1gb to be limiting? Have you bumped into it and wished you had more space.

Advertisement
  2. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

3. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled VIP Member This Topic's Starter

That's an excellent link, thanks! I get the feeling that the typical Apple app is a lot larger than the typical Android app. That's good news for me since so far this limitation is the only thing I've not been thrilled with on the EVO. Any tunes or multimedia can live quite happily on the SD card.

Can't wait to throw off my shackles!

4. Rob_A

Rob_A Well-Known Member

Evo actually has about 340MB free due to preinstalled apps (non removable) and system files.

But: 70% of the apps I have are 500k, others are 1-5MB

Froyo, Android 2.2, the next firmware update will allow apps to be installed on the Micro SD card. (Devs must update their app to do this, I'm guessing. Alot have already done this)

So, imo, the relatively small internal storage issue will be a non-issue once EVO gets Froyo update.

5. tardmobile

tardmobile Well-Known Member

If this phone had 340GB free, everyone would jump all over it and Jobs would have an aneurysm

6. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

You can also create an appbrain account select the apps you want to install, and see how much memory it takes up.

AppBrain - the best Android apps and games on the Android market

Just create a junk gmail account, log in. Then look around at the apps, find what you like, and add it to the list. You do not even need a phone to do this. Of course a phone would be nice to test the apps, but just for size it does work.

If you start to get near the 300mb size, you might want to consider droid x or getting the htc evo and waiting for froyo 2.2, which should be here some time before fall.
    IF you wan to know what I think of the htc evo, I would say it is the best phone I have ever had.

7. J03

J03 Well-Known Member

They should really update their advertised specifications to reflect this. I feel as though HTC would sell more evos...

8. Rob_A

Rob_A Well-Known Member

oops, lol

Thanks... meant MB :D