Does the first 10% of the battery drain quicker than the rest

1. chimpy

chimpy Well-Known Member

I've bee noticing the first 10% drops off quick, but the after that it stabilizes a little. Does anyone else get this?

Advertisement
  2. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

used to, not much anymore though. how old is the battery
  3. chimpy

chimpy Well-Known Member

Two weeks old.
  4. fortesquieu

fortesquieu Well-Known Member

Why did you say so?
  5. cosmicreality

cosmicreality Member

If you want to avoid this from happening, after your phone is charged, simply turn it off (while still connected to the charger). You'll notice it'll continue charging once again for another 15 minutes or so.

Once this is done, the first 10% of the charge will not drop off quickly anymore. It appears HTC did this by design.
  6. teslas123

teslas123 Member

This is a well discussed issue. The last 10 pct can only be charged by turning off ur phone, remove the power for 5 seconds replace power plug. It will charge for about 30 min. Rinse wash repeat 2 more times. Power on. Then ur first 10pct will last a long time.
  7. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

the batteries always odd for the intitial use IMO. they seem to be more consistent after a bit. are you leaving it on the charger longer than when the light just turns green

and i dont agree that the ONLY way to charge the last 10% is with it off. i dont turn it off and it act the same no matter what.
  8. jsanta11

jsanta11 Member

Try this before charging the phone open up the desk clock app and then connect the charger, for some reason the battery is not fully charged no matter if you leave it 2-3hrs after the light is green, for example my phone was charging overnight and the light has been green since I got up this morning, then I read about the charging tip and unplugged it ( opened up the desktop clock app) re connected and to my surprise its still charging the light is make to orange ( its been 45mins) so that proofs that the reason the battery drops the 10% fast is because its not completely charged even when leaving it overnight.. I take no credit for this here is the link
    (NEW) battery trick!!! 6/5/10
    cosmicreality and fortesquieu like this.
  9. jsanta11

jsanta11 Member

You no longer have to do this method to get it fully charged :)
  10. Bundy

Bundy Well-Known Member

Why's that? You have a secret?
  11. fortesquieu

fortesquieu Well-Known Member

Read the posts above for the link.
  12. mmisterio

mmisterio Well-Known Member

I plugged in my phone at 60% battery life after opening the desk clock app to see the time, weather and battery % and once it hit 100 and I disconnected from the charger, it immediately dipped to 99%. What did I do wrong?

Step 1: Open desk clock app
    Step 2: Hit back key to see time and weather
    step 3: plug in charger
    step 4: no difference
  13. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

Yes, the first 10% goes by very fast for me. I don't really bother with the battery trick that's been discussed on the boards (the turn off, replug, turn back on); That first 10% doesn't make a big difference for me, although I've never heard of that desktop clock app trick. I may have to give that a try as I don't like constantly turning on and off my phone.
  14. jasonb1985

jasonb1985 Well-Known Member

the $5 external charger i just got charges my battery full and the first 10% lasts just as long as the rest. last night it was pegged at 100% for 2 hour and 15 minutes after i charged it with the external charger and then put the battery in my phone and booted it up. it was 2 hours and 15 minutes of idle time, other than me waking the phone to check the battery % cause i was curious, but still that's a long time before it dropped 1%.
  15. MikiBee

MikiBee Well-Known Member

I use a case on my phone.. so what a pain it is to have to remove the battery to charge it externally.

I just charge my phone, usually overnight.. and within about 2 minutes of taking it off the charger it's down to 90%. I don't have a landline, so I don't like to have to keep turning it on and off. I usually end up forgetting to turn it back on!

I love the phone, but I'm not a big fan of this battery issue.
  16. jasonb1985

i have a case too. the verizon silicon case. it's kind of a pain to get off, but whatever.
  17. EricDra7en

EricDra7en Active Member

ONLY 2 more times? Does more times = bad news or is it just fully charged after 3 cycles?

Dumb question...could this damage the battery at all?

Thanks for this.
  18. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

Wait, can you please explain EXACTLY what you are doing for this new battery trick?

This morning, my phone finished charging, I left it on, unplugeed, when to the desk clock and it was at 99%, plug it, and it finished charging in a few seconds.

Then I unplugged, powered off the phone, plugged back in and it charged another 20 minutes or so.

So.....how do you get the phone to charge that extra 20 minutes without actually turning it off?
  19. Todd M

Todd M Well-Known Member

EXACTLY my observation. I saw this nugget and thought I'd try it, but I followed the directions laid out and it charges only for a couple of minutes. As soon as I turned the phone off (phone was reading 99% when I did) and plugged it in, it remains charging for an additional 30 minutes. Not sure how others are doing this as described without shutting the phone off...
  20. ramcharger1979

ramcharger1979 Well-Known Member

This did nothing for me and I tried it 2 times.
  21. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

I'm calling BS on the "new battery trick".

I'm still on the fence as to whether turning the phone off and charging an extra 20-30 mins actually does anything.
  22. briankeith513

briankeith513 Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried this "trick" yet to see if, when using this method, then powering the phone off while connected to the charger, is it green or orange? If you have used this method, and charged it until it has turned green, then powered the phone off while connected to the charger, the indicator would be green if this "trick" actually works. If it turns orange again, it did nothing.
  23. sandman423

sandman423 Active Member

mine did nothing either
  24. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

I read on a tech blog today (I forget which one) that apparently the "new" desk clock app trick is hit or miss with people.
  25. jasonb1985

i really hope they can fix this issue. it's really a bummer that we have to charge our phones with external battery chargers to truly get a full charge.