does the G1 have GPS installed in it already!?General

Last Updated:

1. ptown

ptown New Member This Topic's Starter

:D?!

Advertisement
  2. BandroiD

BandroiD Member

Yes but I think it's Assisted GPS :( like the iPhone 3G. It was waaay off when I tried to find my location. It might have been the area though.

3. FlyerG

FlyerG Active Member

Yes, and it works quite well and fairly quick on 3G. It located me right away. I'm sure it is AGPS as well.

4. sleebus.jones

sleebus.jones Well-Known Member

5. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

Right, and you have to actually turn the GPS on.
    If you just open maps, hit menu, and hit my location, that's ONLY using cell tower triangulation, and it's probably going to be off by a few blocks. If you have GPS turned on, it will start nearby, and zero in on you in a moment or two. You gotta give it time to talk to the satellite...which is in space.

6. RevWillie

RevWillie Well-Known Member

:p funny one

I let GPS aquire my location fix in my backyard last night. The one think I noticed was that I got a modal warning saying that there was a 'connection issue' and it took me a long time to figure out that you have to dismiss the warning with the back button. It looked pretty accurate. I want to try some more testing to see how fast it can aquire a fix.

7. joephu

joephu Member

Yeah, I figured out the accuracy improves with turning on the GPS (it's off by default). However, I still find it can still be off by 30 feet or so...still pretty good. There's no turn by turn but a cool thing I noticedis that if you run a direction route, the turn on GPS, it will track your movement as you drive, refreshing the map as needed to keep the "blue flashing dot" as needed. The GPS does drain the battery quickly, so I'd prefer topair itto my Bluetooth GPS. I haven't been sucessful yet.

8. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

We didn't map a route, but I had this going when we were driving the other night, there was a slight lag when we made a turn, and the blue dot would stick at the intersection then jump to our position after the turn.

That's certainly good enough for me.

9. bhang

bhang Member

while in maps I hit the "my location" button while driving and it pretty followed my track pretty close, it was nice going somewhere Id never been and I was unsure what road I was on, then whammo my g1 told me I was on the right track.

bhang

10. bengrulz

bengrulz Member

it's important to note that even if you have gps on, if you are in a building not near a window it's likely you wont get a satellite fix. In this case, the phone will revert to cell towers to approximate your location. It's less accurate, but better than no location at all!

11. Mrcoolbrad

Mrcoolbrad Member

I used GPS yesterday while driving into my neighborhood, and it was PERFECT... My car turned, the GPS updated me turning almost instantly. I was surprised after all the bad feedback i've been reading on it.. Point is, It worked perfect for me while driving.

12. N3TWORK BURN3R

N3TWORK BURN3R Well-Known Member

You know, i did the same exact thing. I took my gf to school and tested out the GPS function, worked flawlessly.

13. HTC

HTC Well-Known Member

you know.. why isn't the GPS one of the advertised features on the back of the box? I mean if its crappy camera and Music made it to the back of the list, they shouldn't be shy about also writing Maps and GPS

14. Risky

Risky New Member

I turned on the gps on mine and it took 2-3 minutes to find a lock, and after that it was fine and seemed right on me. This was outside, btw. Inside I waited for a few minutes and it was always a few blocks off

15. Mrqwebb2

Mrqwebb2 Well-Known Member

cosign