Does the G3 use up more of your data plan with running alot of things in the background?Support

1. AngelG3

AngelG3 New Member

Hi all, I'm new to the droid world, I'm coming from a Blackberry Torch. I have AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III. I just got my phone on 9/25/12 so I'm very new and still learning alot. So far I love it, but I do have a question.

When I'm at home my phone is running from my wifi connection. However while I'm at work this is not a option. I check facebook a couple of times during the day, and I use the back button when getting out of it. Yesterday I was at 30.89 MB in my data plan, I have the 300mb data plan. Today it states I'm at 44.48 MB used of my data plan. That seems like an extremely high volume due to me hardly using my data. I used my Torch the same way, and some days it would only register maybe 4MBs used for the day. So this got me to wondering about the data plan vs the phone.

I've always been very cautious of my data plan to ensure I don't go over and have to pay even more money. On my Torch I only had the 200MB and never went over. I bumped up to the 300MB on the G3 for peace of mind to play on it more, but now I'm worried.

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc for me to not use up all of my data plan in a week or two?

Thanks!!!

Advertisement
  2. Jeepmaster

Jeepmaster Well-Known Member

You can set your data limit level and warning level when you reach a certain amount of Data.
    Your data usage will depend on the apps you have. Many apps will use data to update and sync...like weather apps, facebook, email...

300mb is really nothing on a smartphone. My average use is over 1GB per month and I have wifi at home too. If you really want to lower your data usage, you can try check the box that said "Restrict background data" under settings>Data usage.

You can also download any data toggle apps so you can quickly turn ON Data only when you need to use it and turn data off when you don't need it.

Further, you can root your s3 and install AdAway which will block most of the ads in your apps and when you surf the web. Then install DroidWall and only allow certain apps to have access to the internet.
  3. AngelG3

AngelG3 New Member

Oh my! I might need to reconsider this phone if it's going to have me going high like that each month. On my blackberry I had facebook, twitter, email that I used daily and never went over the 200mb. So I thought I was doing good upping this one to the 300mb.

I have my email on the phone, but it's not set to update any only when I log into it, which I only do at home. The only other app I have besides the facebook is the weather and time widget that came standard on the phone.

What about games? If i'm not playing them will they still do the same?

Thanks for your reply Jeepmaster!!
  4. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

If you go to your settings menu and click on data usage, it should show you which apps are using your data and how much data. I have a very small data plan, so i actually turn my data off unless im wanting to use it, that way its not updating stuff in the background when im not going to be seeing it. Ive had the 200mb plan for 3 years, and never went over the limit, though i easily could if i wanted. Im graduating this semester though so I will be upgrading my data as soon as i get a job.
    AngelG3 likes this.
  5. Jeepmaster

Jeepmaster Well-Known Member

I can't say for all games, but if you set it to restrict background data and the game is not running or in the background, it should not be accessing data. That's why I have DroidWall to give me full control of what get access.

Again, I can't say if you will go over your limit or not as I don't know what your usage is like. I used to have a 500mb plan on and it was just enough for me to just check email/facebook/surf the web a bit at lunch time, but I really have to keep a watch on my data usage.

ie: If someone emails me a whole bunch of 10mb pictures and I downloaded it to view, then my usage will be way over.
    AngelG3 likes this.
  6. Heisenberg123

Heisenberg123 Well-Known Member

its been a while since i had a blackberry but from what i rememeber the data is compressed on it vs a iphone or android so 300MB might last longer on a berry than the other 2
    AngelG3 likes this.
  7. infg37

infg37 Well-Known Member

connect to a wifi whenever possible....200mb? thats less mb's than all my apps are
  8. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

Yea you made a good point i thought about making, but havent kept up with bb much in a few years so didnt know if it was still true. bb uses a webkit browser and the compressed data, it makes the data slightly slower but saves data, i forget exactly how it works. but using a browser like opera mini on android helps as it uses less data than other browsers too, but it has less features
  9. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Guides Guide

Blackberry does compress the data for all of its apps. I'd recommend turning on the feature to restrict background data, like others have mentioned. Also look under your data usage for the apps that are using the most and, you can restrict data usage by app. Also you are going to want to make sure you only update apps when you are on wifi.

But also like others have said, android/iphone can easily consume more data quickly just because nothing is compressed or stripped down.