• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Does the Galaxy S need a screen protector?

I've been using a screen protector since I got the phone (about 2 months ago) and recently I took it off just to check whether the scratches on the protector went through to the phone. They didn't, and I noticed the screen looked 100x better without the protector than with. When I put it back on, there were loads of little bubbles on the top half of the screen. This is annoying me now, and I found out the SGS uses Gorilla Glass (yes, I'm slow with tech haha), which is incredibly tough. Is there any point in keeping the protector as it's severely diminishing the screen's amazing quality?

I always used a protector on my iphone and did start with one on my galaxy but never got round to buying new ones when I ran out so the last few months I've not bothered.
I much prefer the screen without - it feels nicer and looks better and I've not noticed any damage. I do keep my galaxy in a sock and never leave it jumbling around with my loose change so I don't think I'll bother.

Upvote 0
I always used a protector on my iphone and did start with one on my galaxy but never got round to buying new ones when I ran out so the last few months I've not bothered.
I much prefer the screen without - it feels nicer and looks better and I've not noticed any damage. I do keep my galaxy in a sock and never leave it jumbling around with my loose change so I don't think I'll bother.

yep, I just took it off and ordered a pouch, that should keep it safe :)

Upvote 0
Firstly, I agree with all of the comments above. Without a screen protector the display will always be sharper.

Just a quick point... I'm pretty sure that not all of the Galaxy-s phones actually have gorilla glass on them. I've seen a lot of discussion about this online (some of it sounded like wishful thinking) and you would think that Samsung would make a bigger deal about it in their marketing.

You did kinda answered your own question with your original post i.e. you took off the screen protector to see if the scratches had went through to the glass.

If you use the phone without a screen protector, it will definitely end up with some scratches at some point (even if Gorilla Glass)

There are a couple of options though. Use cheap screen protectors of amazon / ebay (they're only about

Upvote 0
@Fandroid56101,

Hi, I've been using a great protector since the day i got my SGS 3 months ago. It's the CrocFOLpremium...link:

(Crocfol Premium Samsung i9000 Galaxy S)

It's great, and fits perfectly. I've put a lot of effort in fitting it right, so it's spot on and no bubbles whatsoever. But did u mean that when you said it looked better whithout, that there were simply no bubbles? Or does a screenprotector really decreases the screen quality?? As in pixels, sharpness, etcetera?
In that case, i might take it off and consider a sleeve/sock.

Greetz from Holland

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones