• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does The handset Use More Power When 4G Is Turned On?

Doesn't seem to use a bunch of power when just searching. WAY less than if my 3G was searching.

As for using, certainly no more than the 3G radio would use.

I live in Raleigh, a sometimes I can get 4G city. I leave 4G on all the time now. Was turning it on and off until I figured it wasn't making any real difference in my battery. So it is just always on now.

This is me, this is EVO, YMMV LOL

Upvote 0
Yes it uses more power. And I believe it actually uses more power than 3G. Thing is, the 3G/2G modem stays on anyway because it is required for making calls.

You can turn off mobile data entirely without removing your ability to make calls.

Long press the power button and hit "Mobile network" to toggle it on/off.

When my 4g is searching (randomly gets enabled... idk why), it kills my battery about twice as fast as just using my phone without it searching. I imagine it's not too terribly bad if it actually connected though.

Upvote 0
Yes, no, and maybe.

Yes your phone will consume more power when wimax and 3g/cdma radio on, then having one of them turned off.

No, wimax by itself does not consume more power then cdma/3g radio.

Now in saying that, wimax radio can be "on" and use zero power. If it has a good signal, when you are not transferring data, the wimax radio shuts down to 0 zero power use. When data comes from tower to the radio, it comes either has a high power burst waking the radio or uses 3g/cdma to tell the wimax to wake up. When you then return data from phone to tower, wimax just sends a message asking the tower which channel to use.

Your 3g/cdma radio can never go dormate, either is on or off. So if you have a good signal, wimax will not consume power until you use it. There is no standby for wimax.

Which means, yes it will consume more power, if you use it with the normal radio. But when it is not being used, it uses zero power, and when used by itself, consumes less then 3g.

Need to clearify one point, when I speak of zero power, I mean less then .5 milli amps, just know someone is going to say, it uses .25 of a milliamp in standby, quit lying.

For the record, your 3g radio uses 70 milliamps in standby.

Reactions: OutofDate1980
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones