• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does the nexus really has these problems ?

Sfreak

Lurker
Jul 28, 2012
Hello everyone :D

I got a nexus one and I'm looking for an upgrade.Gnex seems to be a good option since it's a google phone but I heard that it got some issues:

1-Volume is too low,volume+ app seems to fix it but it's not compatible with JB.
2-General issues in connectivity and reception in signal/wifi/3G.
3-Poor battery life but I heard that it's improved in JB.

From your experience,do any/all of these problems exist ?

It depends on who you ask. Some people here are perfectly content (like me), others have problems upon problems with the phone. You're going to get a wide variety of answers. On top of that, there are two different Galaxy Nexus devices, the CDMA+LTE one (which I have) and the GSM one, which will affect both the battery life and signal categories.

In my personal experience:

1) The volume is acceptable (without Volume +), at least in custom ROMs. Could be louder, but its definitely louder and clearer than my Eris.

2) Signal issues? Its slightly weaker than my Eris, but its not intolerable, I still get a perfectly usable signal most of the time.

3) Poor battery life? Sort of depends on what I'm doing. If I'm using it rock solid with lots of web browsing over 4G, maybe 4 hours tops before 0%. The best standby time I've gotten was 22 hours on one charge with an hour of screen on time.

Upvote 0
The existence of both a CDMA and a GSM model, and the fact that quite often those with specific complaints don't state which model they're referring to, make it difficult to know what to expect. The only complaint I have about my GSM Nexus is the volume - earpiece volume could use a modest boost, but speaker volume is pathetic. They must be testing these things in a monastery or something; with real world background noise, the volume just isn't loud enough.

However, I've had no problem with either signal strength or battery life. The other day I managed 18 hours, including just shy of 6 hours (5 hours 51 minutes) of screen on time, two of which were playing locally stored video. On a regular day for me, I'm rarely below 50% at dinner time.

Upvote 0
1. The volume is a bit low in that if you are walking down a busy street it is very difficult to hear calls. Volume+ did nothing for me on ICS for some reason. When I upgraded to JB, some of the ring tones got a bit louder... maybe that was my imagination?

2. No connectivity issues for me

3. I have no problem with the battery

Upvote 0
Hmm so the only real problem is the low speaker volume...but I just read that some kernels like franco and trinity kernels do boost the volume.Also did you ever try using volume+ on ICS ?[/QUOTE

Yes Volume+ works great with ICS, however it's broken with JB and the developer is working on a new release. Also I can only recommend the GSM version as the issues I had were all with the Verizon LTE disaster... GSM is fantastic plus no contract and lower rates!

Upvote 0
Sadly for me #2 yes big time on my CDMA Verizon. #3 sometimes yes but not often. I do carry a spare battery. #1 I got a 10$ pair of headphones and they are loud enough. Call quality? Well after flashing a leaked baseband it kind of worked. But a phone call last night was horrid. But I found my sim card unseated so that may have caused that issue.

Upvote 0
Sadly for me #2 yes big time on my CDMA Verizon. #3 sometimes yes but not often. I do carry a spare battery. #1 I got a 10$ pair of headphones and they are loud enough. Call quality? Well after flashing a leaked baseband it kind of worked. But a phone call last night was horrid. But I found my sim card unseated so that may have caused that issue.

I think he is talking about the speaker not the headphones' volume.Honestly I'm thinking about getting a gnex too but it looks like that speaker volume is not loud enough(most importantly for notifications).I don't know if volume+ helps...

Upvote 0
I think he is talking about the speaker not the headphones' volume.Honestly I'm thinking about getting a gnex too but it looks like that speaker volume is not loud enough(most importantly for notifications).I don't know if volume+ helps...

Pick high pitched notification sounds. I use a ringtone from a Nokia 3310 and it really carries. You can hear it anywhere in the house easy.

Reactions: Ayhio
Upvote 0

Volume+ did help, and I assume it will again once he finds how to fix it for Jellybean.

Other than that, I somewhat agree with Demache, just be careful of the notification sounds you choose. Some notification sounds are much louder than others, just find one that you can easily hear. Some of the sounds are fine, either based on the loudness of the recording or the frequency. I have no problem hearing my notifications, even when noisy.

Upvote 0
Volume+ did help, and I assume it will again once he finds how to fix it for Jellybean.

Other than that, I somewhat agree with Demache, just be careful of the notification sounds you choose. Some notification sounds are much louder than others, just find one that you can easily hear. Some of the sounds are fine, either based on the loudness of the recording or the frequency. I have no problem hearing my notifications, even when noisy.

Does volume+ really help that much ? like with volume+,is the volume comparable to other dual cores like the S2 ? Because if not,I might just go for the S2 and forget about the fast assured updates in the gnex -_-
Honestly...the Nexus has been out for about 7 months now.. Why on earth wouldn't Samsung just fix the problem with the volume on the Gnex? Stuff like that just irritates me to no end. After all these are phones, so volume should be on point.
You mean google,samsung has nothing to do with updating the gnex :p

Upvote 0
No...I mean the manufacturer Samsung has done nothing.

43cdfdeb-3ce1-64e5.jpg

Upvote 0
Does volume+ really help that much ? like with volume+,is the volume comparable to other dual cores like the S2 ? Because if not,I might just go for the S2 and forget about the fast assured updates in the gnex -_-

You mean google,samsung has nothing to do with updating the gnex :p

I'm not the best one to ask about Volume+, I had it just a few days before updating to Jellybean, but it did seem to help quite a bit. There are threads here about how well it works, people who used and tested it more than I did, and mobimop, in a post in this thread, says it worked well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones