Does the Note have NFC capability?General

Last Updated: 2012-11-30 14:36:49
  1. richbee

richbee Member

I'm looking at buying a Note (I not II) and am a bit confused about NFC capability.

I gather it didn't ship with NFC to start with in UK, but some sites seem to think that it has been introduced since ICS upgrade, particularly from Orange.

The Orange site lists it as having NFC, but carphonewarehouse didn't know anything about it.

Does anyone have a definitive answer?

It's probably not a deal breaker, but I like the idea of having NFC chips to automatically launch functions like car mode, and I guess that NFC payments will take off in the next 2 years.

In case you're wondering why I'm not looking at a Note II - Basic financial restrictions! Note II is still at least

Advertisement
  2. Jetmerritt

Jetmerritt Well-Known Member

The at&t model does. I have the note 1 in Canada under the Telus network model number SGH-i717d, same as the at&t one. It does have nfc. I have never used it as all my friends have iPhones from when I was an apple fanboy. I thought I read that some note 1's did NOT come with nfc.

I Don't think there is a definitive answer unless you look up the individual models on the Samsung website.

I'm not even sure how many Note models there are.

As for the note 2, I am really not that impressed with it. The screen has the same resolution I think, but it is bigger. They say the pen is more sensitive, unless you are a phone Michaelangelo who cares. I think the biggest change is another GB of ram which would be nice. But not worthwhile upgrading for a note 1 user.
  3. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

The 'Note LTE' version has NFC, if it just says 'Note' it does not.

Looking on Orange the Note (1) does not say LTE it does not have NFC. The Note II is the LTE version and therefore has NFC.

As far as I know the only 'Note LTE' is sold by AT&T in the US, I don't know of anyone selling an LTE version in the UK.
  4. Vipfreak

Vipfreak Well-Known Member

My N7000 (international version) doesn't.