• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does the official Google Voice app use the My Faves exploit to get free calls?

1080p

Android Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2009
Ok... We all know about setting up a My Fave as your Google Voice number... but I notice that when I call using the official Google Voice app selecting "Call with Google Voice" the call history on my phone doesn't show my GV number as the dialed call, but instead the actual number I called. While this is a great convenience for me to see the actual dialed number, am I not getting the call as a free my fave call thru the official app?

when you make a call using google voice it will tell you the access number it calls to route your calls, thats the number you add to your my faves and NOT your actual google voice telephone number, feel me. so everytime you call out it calls the route number whuch will be one of yor my faves, trust me it works i had it on verizon with friends and family.

Upvote 0
when you make a call using google voice it will tell you the access number it calls to route your calls, thats the number you add to your my faves and NOT your actual google voice telephone number, feel me. so everytime you call out it calls the route number whuch will be one of yor my faves, trust me it works i had it on verizon with friends and family.

Not exactly. Google has began changing the access numbers and they will be randomized according to what is avaible. The way I have it set up is google voice number shows when I receive a call. Its a myfavs number. When I call out, I have to call my own google voice number and then dial the phone number I want to call so its not using my minutes.

Upvote 0
Yes! They are! Yikes. Looks like I won't be using the app for outgoing calls...

there's a couple of options you can do to make outgoing calls from your google voice number. NOT THE APP ITSELF. I'm sure you know these but if not or for those who don't here we go....

Option #1: Use it the way it was intended.
Call your Google Voice number, then press 2 and dial the number, press #. If you save your Google Voice number as a MyFavs you'll get unlimited calling, however it will be a pain in the ass if you call out a lot.

Go to your Google Voice account, Settings >> Calls >> Caller ID (in) and select "Display Google Voice number".

Next add your Google Voice number as a MyFav number, you get unlimited incoming minutes from your Google Voice number.

View at EasyCaptures.com

The downside is that you won't know who's calling by looking at your phone, but if you turn on "Call Presentation" and configure your call screening options you'll be fine if this is a major issue for you.

Option #2: The more complicated way:
Another option that will take more time to set up but save you time in the future when you do call out is to add your Google Voice contacts with your Google Voice number, Pauses, then the numerical option entries before their number in your address book. In Google Voice's contact page this is fairly easy if you copy and paste.

For example my contact number would be:

9154126642 p p 2 p p 9151234567

(My Google Voice Number) + Pause + Pause + (Option #2 for Dial Out) + Pause + Pause + Number Of Contact

I'd rather just call my own number and dial out.

Another option to call out is:

Go to your Google Voice home page to click "Call" and it will ring your phone from your Google Voice number and connect the call once you answer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones