• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Does the Revolution have Gorilla Glass / Notification Lights / Unlocked Bootloader?

in an effort to bring the gorilla glass conversation back to this thread, i talked to "Miguel" at lg customer support yesterday via online chat. he unfortunately stated that the rev does NOT have gorilla glass. he stated the only lg phone that currently does have it is the G2X. i wish i would've saved the transcript, but i forgot. hope that helps clear the air.

Upvote 0
So would you chose the Revo or the Charge?

Personally? Neither. I would either get the Droid X2 or wait for Berizon's Galaxy S II variant to hit. The camera is better on the Revolution and it has 4G, but the Droid X is a much more powerful device. And even though Moto has their stupid encrypted bootloaders, I hate supporting the horrendous partnership between Berizon and Microsoft for Bing even worse. Once you switch launchers on the DX2 it's a superior device to the Revolution. Not otherworldly superior, but the screen is better, even with pentile.

I was honestly disappointed with the Revolution's screen. Black levels are horrid. There's much more to screen readability than simply maximum brightness. I would argue that contrast is still slightly more important, as it's the difference between one color and another - or the difference from black to white - that make a screen readable. Not to mention it still has the best voice quality of any handset currently on Berizon and a dual core Tegra processor.

Upvote 0
So would you chose the Revo or the Charge?

i bought the rev. while the charge has an incredible screen, i thought the rev surpassed it in many other aspects that were important to me.

you will find many opinions in this forum. based on what's important to you, you'll have to decide for yourself which is superior.....or to look elsewhere, like SirKronan did.

Upvote 0
I was told that MOST/ALL High End Android phones have Gorilla Glass.

As for the debate on which phone to get I am leaning towards the Revo. I don't like the design of the Charge and I absolutely hate the plastic back and I am just not a big fan of Samsung devices. The X2 is nice and everything but it really kills me that it looks exactly like the X (kinda something Apple would do/does) and being a heavy data user I want to go ahead and get my 4G unlimited plan before Verizon goes to tiered data plans.

Upvote 0
I was told that MOST/ALL High End Android phones have Gorilla Glass.

As for the debate on which phone to get I am leaning towards the Revo. I don't like the design of the Charge and I absolutely hate the plastic back and I am just not a big fan of Samsung devices. The X2 is nice and everything but it really kills me that it looks exactly like the X (kinda something Apple would do/does) and being a heavy data user I want to go ahead and get my 4G unlimited plan before Verizon goes to tiered data plans.

All your concerns are extremely valid. I am extremely pissed off at Berizon for putting everyone in this position right now. Do I choose the inferior screen? Do I suffer with battery life? Is it worth going through just to get my unlimited 4G that's going away soon? Do I want a great dual core phone that will likely mean I NEVER get unlimited 4G? Do I wait for the iPhone 5 since I didn't get the iPhone 4 due to Berizon getting it 6 months late? hehehe... :D

I love how Berizon botches handset selection soooooo bad. I honestly think going to LTE was stoooopid, vs. HSPA+ or something like that. I'd much rather have a fantastic phone with great battery life and a tripling or quadrupling of my download speeds, all without sacrificing form factor. Instead I can get 5-6 times faster download rates but be forced to choose from sub par devices. Notice I said "sub par" and not crappy. None of these are crappy phones, but they are still inferior, and partially because of LTE's newness and rawness. I realize HSPA is GSM and LTE is CDMA for now, but still ... I hate having to make a major sacrifice somewhere hardware wise vs. competing carriers.

Upvote 0
I agree that none of these phones is giant hit like SGSII which is selling like crazy oversea. But in current situation with VZW, it would be very nice if pros of Revolution and Charge are combined into one phone. The one that has snappiness, fludity, huge internal memory of Revo and great screen, camera, battery of Charge with nearly stock UI without Bing. The only thing left out here is dual core, but Revo speed is more than enough for me. Its LG skin is looking like TW somewhat, but it's actually very light skin on stock android if you look at it carefully. I think that's why Revo slightly outperforms Tbolt with heavier Sense UI. Revo is indeed only a few things away from being great phone for me, screen like SAMOLED+, Charge's camera and Google as default search.

Upvote 0
As for DX2, I seriously considered it too. But looks like it's having all sorts of problems from flash video, media files and video camera troubles, often resulting serious overheating, system bogging down. Probably it's fine if it's not pushed with multimedia stuffs. I think Moto rushed it out as a stop gap phone since they scrapped original Bionic and started re-designing it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones