1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

Does the S4 take SDHC cards?General

1. npa

npa Member

Thinking of buying a memory card for my S4 - what is the max capacity & type of card? Have read it needs to be an SD card but I can onoy see at 16GB an SDHC - will this be OK?

Many thanks

Advertisement
  2. shmn

shmn Well-Known Member

No to SDHC. It takes micro-SD up to 64GB. Get a Samsung card...they seem to be the ones with the least problems at the current time.
    wtherrell and TheAtheistReverend like this.
  3. cmwade77

cmwade77 Member

Anything over 8GB will be a SDHC, in this case, it is micro-SDHC.

It will take up to a 64GB Micro-SDHC card. I do not know if would take a 64GB Micro-SDXC card, but it might (you might have to reformat it in a computer first though).
  4. jj14x

jj14x Guides Guide

I believe SDHC format only supports cards with capacities up to 32GB (link). The 64GB card is microSDXC, and is supported by the S4 (exFAT)
  5. npa

npa Member

Well, despite conflicting opinion, I have gone for a 16gb micro sdhc card - will update when received. Thanks anyway
  6. beowulf7

beowulf7 Well-Known Member

I have a 32 GB Class 10 microSDHC card by SanDisk and it works just fine.
  7. askhek

askhek Member

From everything I have seen and been told sdhc is all they are making now. The s4's are expandable up to 64mg. So I have 32 internal memory the biggest card I can get is 32. :)
  8. Screech

Screech Well-Known Member Contributor

That does not sound right. The S4 supports upto a 64GB removable memory card, not 64GB total memory. I have a 16GB model and a 64GB card, usable memory (after OS and such) is about 72GB, not limited to 64GB. Though what you are allowed to store where (internal vs. external) is still somewhat limited.