Does the sprint Lg S Optimus have tethering??Support

Last Updated:

1. br00klyniightz

br00klyniightz New Member This Topic's Starter

So i jus got the Sprint LG S Optimus yesterday and i was jus wondering if theres a way u can use this phone as a modem? I dont have a regular internet on my home computer and i was looking to find away to hook up my LG S to my computer as a modem... does n e one know if this is possible?:confused: Please let me know thanx! :D

Advertisement
  2. telemike

telemike Well-Known Member

3. Troy640

Troy640 New Member

4. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Well-Known Member

Choosing a simpler way, I got a ten-foot USB cable and then this happened. It’s not as fast as cable, but fine for dorking around.

star2011 likes this.
  5. star2011

star2011 Member

6. jefboyardee

It works on a laptop, assume it would on a laptop. I’ve put tethering on the back burner for now -- it’s just not reliable enough to replace a cable ISP, although it might just be because I’m not up to speed on all this.

7. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Well-Known Member

If your Optimus S has the older software version LS670ZVC ("ZVC") then you can use the Quicksettings to give your phone free WiFi Hotspot capability, as described in the link from Telemike above. If you have software version LS670ZVD ("ZVD") or later then Quicksettings will not work and you will have to root your phone, and install the ZVC ROM (system software) or a custom ROM in order to get WiFi Hotspot capability.

If you are willing to root your phone, there is a bunch of information at this link, but the amount of information is a bit overwhelming, so I might suggest scrolling down that link until you get to my post, where I distill it down into the 2-3 links that you need to read in order to root your phone.

I guess it is also possible to tether via USB, though i haven't tried it. (I refused to accept the ZVD software update so that I could keep my WiFi Hotspot capability.)

When my 3G signal is strong, I get about a 500-600kbps data connection. It's good enough for occasionally surfing the web when I'm out of the house-- especially since its "free". Personally I would not want to live with such a slow connection speed as my primary Internet connection at home, but it's probably plenty good enough for some people and the price is right.

8. star2011

star2011 Member

Thanks for your technical guidness.

9. nrg3x

nrg3x New Member

Thanks again for all the information!

10. jefboyardee

In case someone’s wondering, Klink has improved to the point where I’ve unplugged my cable cord and use it exclusively, practicing for the day when I drop my ISP carrier. Using Klink with a 3G phone is rather like the dialup days, but I don’t care about speed -- free is more important these days (don’t tell Sprint I said that).

11. tlyman1141

tlyman1141 New Member

I use both PDAnet from Junefabrics, and easytether, they both seem to work pretty well, PDA net will cost more but also has an sms manager that will re-route all of your texts to your computer while its connected via cord. Havent really had any issues with either set. they are both free and upgrade-able at any point. easytether costs $10 to go pro, and I think pdanet is about $30. check em out! :)

12. Jessicalt1

Jessicalt1 Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, Easytether is $4.99 on Amazon right now. :)

13. rickfancher

rickfancher New Member

How do I set up my phone for USB tethering?