Does the voice dial feature work for anyone?Support

Last Updated:

1. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've tried the voice feature and it seems to be crap. I've tried it with, and without a bluetooth headset, and it doesn't recognize any name I say.

For example, if I want to dial my wife, I say "call martha"

it dials the toyota dealer. makes no sense at all. is there something i'm missing? some "set up" i need to go through so i can identify my voice? I'm asking it to dial names in my address book, actually just after she called, i tried it to call her back, no joy.

any suggestions?

RD

Advertisement
  2. ctc

ctc Well-Known Member

Try vlingo. It doesn't work with bluetooth but it works a lot better than the stock voice dialer.

3. NoShftShck16

NoShftShck16 Well-Known Member

my boss has the voice commands that actually pop up that i thought came with froyo. if she long presses the magnifying glass on her D2 there is a voice commands prompt and she can dictate full text messages.

i thought that was coming with froyo...?

4. AHanks12

AHanks12 Well-Known Member

Subscribed......not only does it really suck for voice dialing but I can't get mine to recognize anything I say, (e.g., "navigate to....., search for...., etc)

5. RawlingsSc

RawlingsSc Well-Known Member Contributor

My bluetooth voice dial works pretty well. That was one of the main features I was looking forward to in Froyo. I just make sure to enunciate well, and talk a little slower than normal.

6. NoShftShck16

None of you have they actual voice commands.

The ones I thought we were get are on the D2. If you long press it a menu pops up thats says

-"Navigate to..."
    -"Call..."
    -"Text.."

with several other options. I thought we were getting it but I guess not :(

7. RawlingsSc

Umm, not sure what you mean. I long press on the search button and it pops up a thing that says "Speak now". I then say "Navigate to...", "Call..." etc. I don't get a menu with the commands listed, but I can use the commands. And I could do this all on 2.1 if I remember correctly. The only thing 2.2 added that I was aware of was the ability to use the button on my bluetooth headset to initiate voice commands, and being able to give the command through the headset.

8. NoShftShck16

9. RawlingsSc

OK, now I'm starting to understand. I tried several of the commands they listed, and some worked but others didn't. I didn't read the whole article, but I noticed the QR codes at the bottom. Is this something we are supposed to download from the market maybe?

10. AHanks12

AHanks12 Well-Known Member

Okay seriously, mine is no where close to as seamless as the one used in the demo. When I use voice search for anything I pretty much have to talk like a robot enunciating each word very slowly. I wish it worked as good as that, I'd definitely use it a lot more. I've pretty much lost hope in it and I don't even try it any more.

11. kjarrett

kjarrett Well-Known Member

^ this

Decided to try voice dialing since I hadn't after 2.2 ... hilarity ensues ... how this thing translates "call home" into "open apps" I will never know ... but that's not all ... it gives something different each time I say the same thing!

Love my DInc but this is a little much...

-kj-

12. Terabethia

Terabethia Well-Known Member

Okay, for sh!ts and giggles I decided to try each of the commands on that list:
    send text to [contact] [message]
    listen to [artist/song/album]
    call [business]
    call [contact]
    send email to [contact] [message]
    go to [website]
    note to self [note]
    navigate to [location/business name]
    directions to [location/business name]
    map of [location]

They all worked perfectly except for the "send email" one. I couldn't get it to seperate the "send to" part from the "message" part. Everything I said after Send Email went into the message box.

And I didn't have to talk like a robot :D I do talk at a normal pace and with a clear voice though.

13. panther2469

panther2469 Well-Known Member

I belive you have to download voice search from the market