1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Does the wifi hotspot feature work?General

1. bazianm

bazianm New Member

I have been trying to turn on the wifi hotspot on my phone. It just turns on and then turns right off. Am I doing something wrong?

Advertisement
    :
  2. bumwithshoes

bumwithshoes Active Member

you'll see the orange icon when you in range of hotspot
  3. bazianm

bazianm New Member

I thought that option turned my phone into a mobile hotspot so I can connect my computer to the internet using my phone. Was I mistaken? It is in the same group of options as USB tethering ...
  4. (G)

(G) Well-Known Member

You're mistaken. The orange icon just tells you when you're in the range of an AT&T wi-fi hotspot (free wi-fi).

Although you CAN tether using 3rd party apps, AT&T has a detection circuit built into the phont that notifies them when you're tethering illegally, and they then bump your monthly rate up to include monthly tethering on your bill.
  5. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

I think you are confusing the AT&T hotspot with mobiles Hotspot. The first is access to Wifi hostposts for AT&T customers throughout their coverage area. I've never used it, so I can't tell much more about it other than You can find out where they are in your area from this map.

Turning your phone into a mobile hotspot is a feature from AT&T but it requires an additional plan to enable it. I think you have the ability to accept the plan right from your phone, but it's rather expensive if you only plan to use it occasionally.
  6. fldude99

fldude99 Well-Known Member

The way to do it is to freeze the tethering manager with TiBu after rooting. If not rooted, there's an app called wifi hotspot & usb tether that somehow bypasses the locking down of the wifi hotspot capability. The jury is out though if ATT can pick up on it. Some reviews say that Verizon is on to it
  7. MCW

MCW Active Member

ATT's 4G plan or unlimited text plan (I can't recall which) unlocks the phone so you can make the phone a portable hotspot.
  8. fldude99

Yes.. But only If you upgrade to their tether plan, which is patently a rip off. Some folks also claim that pdanet works, but I've never been able to get it to work.
  9. MCW

MCW Active Member

I did not upgrade to any tether plan and I have not rooted or installed tethering software and I can tether. The rep informed me it was because of one of the plans I mentioned. Since I am new at this and thought I could be mistaken, I tethered to post this response.
  10. fldude99

Can you describe the exact steps you're doing on the device to activate the hotspot?
  11. MCW

MCW Active Member

1. Turn off Wifi so I am on the data plan
    2. Click Settings
    3. Click Tethering and Portable Hotspot
    4. Click Portable Wi-Fi hotspot settings
    5. I get an advisory note "You can use your phone as an Internet AP (Access Point) using protable Wi-Fi hotspot....
    6. Click OK
    7. Click Portable Wi-Fi hotspot (so the box lights green)
    7. Click OK on the battery warning
    8. Go to my laptop and open my radio settings to bring up my list of radio contacts and switch to the Galaxy S2 (I had already added the phone the first time I tried it to make sure I wasn't mislead by the AT&T kid. The orignal setup was just like connecting to home wifi)

I hope this works. If not, I'd check with AT&T, in person if possible.
  12. fldude99

^^thanks. Interesting that works for you. I get the error that my account is not set up for tethering. The best way to deal with this is to root and freeze tethering manager. It's so amazing that the operators get away with shutting down the hotspot that's built in, all in the interest of greed
  13. (G)

(G) Well-Known Member

I get the same warning.
  14. MCW

MCW Active Member

I'll ask the kid that sold me the phone and post what he says. He informed me of the plan that that unlocked it. If you have the same thing and it won't tether, you can at least start raising the issue.
  15. mratlndmrk

mratlndmrk Well-Known Member

Check your account online and make sure they are not charging you for tethering. Sounds like they might be.
  16. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

AT&T's Datapro 5GB plan includes tethering at $50/month. The Datapro 3GB plan does not for $30/month
  17. mratlndmrk

mratlndmrk Well-Known Member

That makes more sense.
  18. MCW

MCW Active Member

No charge for tethering. I watch the bill closely every month to make kiddo doesn't exceed limits placed on her and because I was once slammed (Side note: ATT CSR said he removed the charges and the service but made an error. I called again and that CSR removed the charge and gave me credit for the prior mistake.)
    My plan is $45 for 4GB plan.