1. Android Forums is going down for maintenance at 7:30PM Central time. Downtime is expected to be less than 30 minutes, we apologize for any inconvenience!

Does this happen to anyone else?Support

Last Updated:

1. MRW1215

MRW1215 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Twice, so far, I've been unable to turn my Kindle Fire on. This is while the battery still has a pretty good charge left, mind you. No matter how much I press the button (or press and hold it for a couple seconds), it never comes on. I usually have to wait 10-15 minutes, and then try again, and it'll start up normally. This second time, it even turned on by itself about ten minutes after I had pressed the button a bunch of times.

Advertisement
  2. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

are you still under warranty?

3. MRW1215

I guess. I haven't rooted, but I've sideloaded a bunch of apps, and stuff.

4. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

Just restore to factory settings then trade it for another.

5. MRW1215

Hm. Well... I don't mean it to sound like I dislike the Fire, but if this is an actual problem, I think I'd rather just return it and buy an actual tablet. Anyone know what Amazon's return policy/ period is, if I got the Fire when it came out? How long do I have to return it?

6. RawRmon

RawRmon Active Member

It's happened to me actually, but only after I rooted. So it scared the crap out of me. Glad to know it might be a problem with the fire and not my rooting!!

7. mdizzle99

mdizzle99 Well-Known Member

Here is a thread over at XDA addressing the same issue.

[Q] Kindle seems dead - xda-developers

Generally if it happens you can do a hard reset by holding the power button down for ~20 seconds. Then press the power button again and it should boot up. Although that work around seems to work, it also worries me a bit.

8. Technipages

Technipages Well-Known Member

Mine did this to me the first day I owned it. When I attached it to my PC it started working again, but did it again later. I did a factory reset on it and haven't had the problem since.

9. kennychaffin

kennychaffin Well-Known Member

Did it to me once...finally got it to reset and no problems since....been using it daily for a bit over a month now...

10. hapy

hapy Member

It's happened to me a number of times. It's annoying and another example of how crappy Amazon's quality control on this thing is. Frankly with the resources at their disposal I don't get why bug fixes aren't rolling out more often. I'm already thinking of selling my Kindle and moving up to an iPads.

11. kennychaffin

Then you probably should, you'd be happier.

12. rickwr88

rickwr88 New Member

Look on the amazon website. Follow the return instruction. there you have a couple of way to manage the return with different cash back depend on when you buy you Fire. I returned one after 2 month for a full refund. they even refund me the shipping cost.

13. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Well-Known Member

When it first happened to us I did a quick google search and came up with the same solution mdizzle just linked. Evidently it is a very common problem and the long press works just fine to resolve it. It resets a few minor settings but it's no big deal.

14. bmcd37

bmcd37 New Member

I've had my KF since Christmas and yesterday (Saturday) was the first time this "freeze" behavior ever happened. A quick Google search led me to hold the power button to do a hard restart. Did that and I am back.

15. kennychaffin

I use mine constantly, have had it since release day and have had this happen only once.

16. grvthang

grvthang Well-Known Member

This has happened to me I think 3 times since I've had the Fire (I got it the day of release). Not too bad.
    It happened yesterday.
    I don't think pressing the button repeatedly does anything except wear ot pout. You need to hold the button for longer than "a few seconds" - more like 15.