Does Verizon charge for tethering?

Last Updated:

1. Knitewulf

Knitewulf Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm using a tethering app on my droid. Wi-fi tether. Usually comes with most custom ROMs.

Well today I used about 35 megabytes of data from my phone because my internet was out. Would there be any reprecussions to this? Also how much can you tether without getting charged if any at all.
    Thanks in advance :)

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Fact: Verizon "can" charge you extra for tethering. The real question is: Will they? I have yet to hear of anyone on this site that has been charged. And there seems to be several people that tether quite a bit. Personally, I wouldn't worry about 35 megs. If you're tether gigs of data ... you might want to be a little more concerned.

If the soon-coming 2.2 Froyo OTA update has the wireless tethering feature built into the OS ... the issue will become moot. Here's to hoping...

3. Conner.josh

Conner.josh New Member

I tether quite often and dont see any impact on my bill. My usage is usually around 4.5-5 gigs a month but i'd say about 1 of those gigs is tethered usage. I wouldn't take that as gospel though because I could get a crazy bill tomorrow and could do nothing about it if they decided to charge.

4. sheeder

sheeder New Member

From my Terms and Conditions Page;

Unlimited Smartphone and BlackBerry Plans and Features
    These Wireless Email plans and features cannot be used: (1) for access to the Internet, intranets or other data networks except as the device

5. Rodeojones

Rodeojones Well-Known Member

According to today's Google/Verizon announcement, making your phone a mobile hotspot will indeed be a feature for Froyo. You'll be able to tether up to 5 additional devices to your phone. There will be a fee, however. You'll have to pay $20 per month and you'll be able to tether up to 2GB of data per month. I guess that means they'll be able to differenciate "regular" phone data and tethering data. Not good news for those of us that do like to tether from time to time.

6. Jeffery

Jeffery Well-Known Member

I wonder if tethered data is only measured through FROYO's built-in hotspot application?

7. Timaphillips

Timaphillips Well-Known Member

I'm willing to bet my paycheck that tethering will be easily monitored, rooted or not, with 2.2....Maybe even now with our wireless tether app.

It would be worth their time and money to have some sort of partnership with Google to gather usage reports from the phone. I might just uninstall it now and call it a day. It was fun while it lasted.

8. JimmyHat

JimmyHat Well-Known Member

I tether with Pdanet. It works great and is available in the market.

9. DKYang

DKYang Well-Known Member

I just saw the Cnet video of this phone. The wireless hotspot tethering is an app itself, not via settings. I assume that Verizon will probably disable the feature when Froyo comes out and force people to use their app to get the wireless hotspot feature.

If the phone is rooted and you use the wireless tethering app, I doubt Verizon can monitor that. They can assume if you keep going over the limit, but they can't just monitor it.

10. lgldrgdlr

lgldrgdlr Well-Known Member

I just cancelled my home internet service and am going to strictly tether via my DInc. I have no idea what my normal usage was via comcast, so we'll see what happens :)

11. sr3tlaw

sr3tlaw Member

Let me know how this pans out bro.

12. lgldrgdlr

lgldrgdlr Well-Known Member

I went back to comcast. I do quite a bit of downloading and the DInc just wasn't cutting it speedwise; a half hour for a 100mb file is too long for me. Guess I'm just impatient.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

13. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

I would expect that. I wouldn't use my phone as my main internet connection unless the only other choice was dial-up, like in a rural area.