• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does VZW service plans sold from anywhere?

Bulldog

Mar 21, 2010
By anywhere I mean different places like the official Verizon storefront I bought my Dare at, vs mall kiosks, vs other sellers like Walmart's LetsTalk, Dell online, or BestBuy???

My example is the Droid (though I'm waiting for the Incredible). My store last week still lists it at the full $199, I heard BB has it for $99, and Walmart/LetsTalk lists it for $20. Who services all these contracts? I obviously want the best price on the phone, but not at the cost of sacrificing who services my contract and/or poor customer service.

I'm curious how Walmart can make any money if they nearly give the phone away, and then do not service the contract either? I've also heard horror stories about LetsTalk so if they service the contract I'll gladly pay full list at a real VZW store.

How do the other stores work like Dell and BestBuy? Who does repair work and/or contract billing/payments for phones purchased there?

Thanks for any help.

I bought my Dare at Best Buy when it came out because I hate the rep at the Verizon store in the mall (which was my closest option otherwise.) Now, we have a Verizon store closer to my house that is staffed by slightly better people.

Best Buy offered insurance for my Dare that was cheaper but it did not cover loss. I know myself too well, so I got the Assurion coverage that was slightly more expensive but they took care of me when I lost my Dare last November.

I don't know how the other resellers make their money but my service was every bit as good from them as when I picked up the other phones in the VZW stores.

The Best Buy guys were even able to make changes to my account for me that day. I would have bought my Droid from them if they had any at the time.

Reactions: Bulldog
Upvote 0
it doesn't matter where you buy your phone, any and all problems you have with your service (billing, network, general questions) will be handled by verizon. Within the 30 day warranty period the phone must be returned to the place you purchased it. after that the phone will be covered under warranty for one year and can be replaced at a Verizon Wireless corporate store or by calling *611 from you phone and get one shipped.

Reactions: Bulldog
Upvote 0
it doesn't matter where you buy your phone, any and all problems you have with your service (billing, network, general questions) will be handled by verizon. Within the 30 day warranty period the phone must be returned to the place you purchased it. after that the phone will be covered under warranty for one year and can be replaced at a Verizon Wireless corporate store or by calling *611 from you phone and get one shipped.

Thanks to both of you.

So out of curiosity...where do you buy your phones?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones