Does wifi bypass carrier internet?Support

Last Updated:

1. Smileyguy3000

Smileyguy3000 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

If I successfully connect to a wifi network, does that mean any internet access will NOT come from my mobile carrier (and hence won't add to my bill)?

Will the phone use the wifi automatically (in preference to the carrier's internet service)?

Also - can I include a proxy server in the browser? I'm not used to this interface so don't know where to start looking . . .

Advertisement
  2. Naruvam

Naruvam Well-Known Member

Yep if u'r connected to wifi phone wount use mobike internet.

3. Smileyguy3000

Woohoo - thanks!

How do I know that the phone is using wifi instead of whatever else it is using?

What about being able to enter proxy settings into the browser? Can that be done?

4. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

the icon in the notification bar changes from g/e/3g (gprs/edge/3g) to a wifi icon

Let's talk about Google Android: Set proxy for android web browser

i'd guess some 3rd party browser might also have proxy settings, or perhaps there's an app to set proxy settings for the default browser (?)

5. Riksu8

Riksu8 Member

The icon changes in the top row when you use different connections - the 3G or E (or G if you're in a very crappy signal area) icon with the arrows you probably have now will go away and a WiFi icon appears. I don't know about the proxy settings though, sorry.

6. Smileyguy3000

Thanks for the pointer to proxy settings. Does that mean I need to edit a file on the Galaxy - So can't just switch back to original proxy settings without editing that file?

I am assuming I need to connect to a computer to edit that database file (to change proxy settings. Is that correct?

7. maurinet

maurinet Well-Known Member

You should download APNdroid from the market, it lets you control the 3G/EDGE/GPRS connection to your mobile carrier. Brilliant!